Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mercury 225X on Ranger 520 PROBLEMS!

Man I need some help!!!!
    Here s my problem and situation.....
    I have a 2000 Ranger 520 with a 2002 merc 225X motor.
    The motor was supposed to be rebuilt by a dealer in Gunnersville Ala when I bought the rig. The motor lasted about 2 years and lost compression on 2 cylinders.
    I had it on a 6 inch jackplate with a throphy 25 inch pitch prop. Boat ran ok.
    I had the motor rebuilt again last April. It would never get up on plane after the rebuild. I added a 10 inch jackplate before I got the engine back from the rebuild.
    Engine dropped a cyl. as the dealer said they put a sleeve in the motor wrong.
    Got the motor back after complete rebuild and new sleeve and it still won t get the boat on plane.
    It doesn t seem to have any power at all. The dealer put a new computer and wiring harness also on the rebuild.
    This crap is getting old. Ehat could be causing the motor to not get the boat on plane? Would adding a 10 inch jackplate cause this problem? The prop. Shaft ids 3 inchs below the pad of the boat. Any ideas?

2. Member
    Any thoughts or ideas? Desperate to try to get this figured out!

3. Banned
    The fuel injectors (siemens) clog up on these motors. Have they ever been serviced?
    Last edited by Rich Z; 07-05-2017 at 09:33 PM.

4. Member
    heres my thoughts on this[ wrong mtr for that boat ] that mtr is rated to 6800, bet loaded at 3 in under pad wont see 5800,needs to be on much lighter boat,520 needs a 3.0L, some may disagree, if it were me pro xs and be done hope this helps JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Banned
    I could be wrong but this maybe a 3L.

6. Member
    If it is a 225X, it is a 2.5 motor, not made very long, but was a strong running version of the 225 Pro Max, but with direct oil injection. And yes, they would run 6800 RPM,s and should be set up to run around 6500 RPM's, or you are lugging that motor which will damage it before over revving it will. It also needs 91+ octane. A 25" trophy is too much prop, as 23" will be better.

This boat does run better with a 3.0 liter motor. Get the motor running right, sell it to a go fast boater, and get a later Pro XS motor.

7. Member
    Thanks for the feedback but I've just spent almost 5300 bucks getting it rebuilt and a new wiring harness...new alternator,starter. The motor won't get on plane at all. Dealer has had a look at it for weeks now and I'm frustrated as it hasn't run right yet after being down since last April! Now dealer indicated it could be a TPI sensor. I can't find a part on the 225x schematic from several of the parts sites. The motor has no low end power to get up on plane. It gets up to about 3K RPM and that's it. If I get on the front deck it may come over on plane after 20-30 seconds. I didn't want to push it since it has less than 2 hrs run time on the rebuild. Just getting tired of messing with this motor. Before the engine blew it ran pretty good. Pushed 5900 RPM at around 65-69 MPH. Just hasn't run right in over a year now after 2 rebuilds. Looking for advice on what could be wrong. Spent to much on it now to get rid of it ya know. Tx

8. Member
    howd it run when it blew/pistons in right[ common mistake] s in p and p in s up is up and dn is dn seen this twice
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Joe54 ?????? Run performance was noted above, not sure what the rest of the post is asking sir???

10. Member
    was asking if it ran good before it went down,and for mech make sure pistons in correct holes starboard and port I have seen this cause problems before hope it works out to be a simple fix

check the spark plugs,it should only have the NGK 10's with resistor,a common issue,that shops not familiar with these motors screw up all the time,,check plug wires,the way that they bend from plug to coil pack,they crack on the undersides,you can't see the arcing by eye. Do a DDT scan,for any codes,As stated earlier,they prefer to be on a light performance hull,and will grab power well over 7k with a Simon upgrade,they are restricted,and hit a wall,due to downdraft air flow.(but that isn't your issue) it will run like crap w/out resistor plugs,the correct ngk's are $100/set. I go thru 2 sets of plugs in a 6 month season

12. Member
    Cajunrgfm is right about the plugs. I have a 2002 225x on a 20' champ and it runs pretty good. The direct replacement for plugs are NGK BPR8EIX. I get mine at NAPA. The TPI Merc part number is 832952_11.
    All the best.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    check the spark plugs,it should only have the NGK 10's with resistor,a common issue,that shops not familiar with these motors screw up all the time,,check plug wires,the way that they bend from plug to coil pack,they crack on the undersides,you can't see the arcing by eye. Do a DDT scan,for any codes,As stated earlier,they prefer to be on a light performance hull,and will grab power well over 7k with a Simon upgrade,they are restricted,and hit a wall,due to downdraft air flow.(but that isn't your issue) it will run like crap w/out resistor plugs,the correct ngk's are $100/set. I go thru 2 sets of plugs in a 6 month season

How many hours do you get on a set of plugs? What are the symptoms when you know you need to replace them?

14. Member
    Probably 50 to75 hours for me. I have not used the boat much the last 2 years but I did replace them 3 summers ago when I was still tournament fishing. Boat idled fine but barely got on plane and had no top end. The 225x originally used a platinum plug but NGK has replaced it with the iridium plug specified in the previous post.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's try this:

Please see the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

I do have to agree that this is not a real good choice for a Ranger Bassboat. Just not what the engine was designed for (in terms of application).

That being said, I suspect you have an underlying problem and we really should have the correct identifying info to assist more accurately.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Dealer ended up finding that the wrong spark plug was installed after it was rebuilt by them. During breakin (after changing to new plugs) it had about a 3-4 second hole shot with a 25 Trophy prop. Still think I need a 250 Pro XS motor as this boat is 3200+ #'s loaded with 2 guys, 4 batteries, full tanks. My other fishing buddies have 250 motors and it's a different animal. This motor is really made for light boats. I haven't run it during break in over 4500 RPM but its pretty strong but definitely doesn't have the low end torque you see on a 250 Merc or Yamaha 250 sho engine. 3.0 liter really makes a difference vs a 2.5 liter . Still glad we found the issue was those spark plugs. All the parts stores for replacement plugs aren't what Mercury says you need to put on the motor. Dealer said a Mercury Service Bulletin back in 2003 shows the new NGK replacement . Amazing it made that much of a difference.

usually 2 sets per season
    Quote Originally Posted by ssv1761982 View Post
    How many hours do you get on a set of plugs? What are the symptoms when you know you need to replace them?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    usually 2 sets per season
    THanks

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaf11 View Post
    Dealer ended up finding that the wrong spark plug was installed after it was rebuilt by them. During breakin (after changing to new plugs) it had about a 3-4 second hole shot with a 25 Trophy prop. Still think I need a 250 Pro XS motor as this boat is 3200+ #'s loaded with 2 guys, 4 batteries, full tanks. My other fishing buddies have 250 motors and it's a different animal. This motor is really made for light boats. I haven't run it during break in over 4500 RPM but its pretty strong but definitely doesn't have the low end torque you see on a 250 Merc or Yamaha 250 sho engine. 3.0 liter really makes a difference vs a 2.5 liter . Still glad we found the issue was those spark plugs. All the parts stores for replacement plugs aren't what Mercury says you need to put on the motor. Dealer said a Mercury Service Bulletin back in 2003 shows the new NGK replacement . Amazing it made that much of a difference.
    So which plug did your dealer install? I also have a 225x and wondering.

20. Member
    My 02 input for you 225X guys that often foul plugs. I’ve got one on my Prosport; purchased it new in 2002.

I went through an era where it was fouling plugs a few times a year, way more than normal. What really helped mine which still today I’m sure why but I had CCM install new reeds; they also removed the rubber coating on the cage its self. This helped a lot.
    Maybe you guys know this but you can adjust the idle mixture by adjusting the intake butterfly stop. The Merc shop manual states this. I set mine as lean as possible (open the stop to allow more air) just to the point where it doesn’t lean sneeze. This also seemed to help plug longevity.

Plug longevity also increased when I switched to a hotter plug, PBR7EIX vs the 8. I did the plug switch four years ago. Yea, I was worried that I was going to toast the engine but all is good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast