Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
My 02 input for you 225X guys that often foul plugs. I’ve got one on my Prosport; purchased it new in 2002.

I went through an era where it was fouling plugs a few times a year, way more than normal. What really helped mine which still today I’m sure why but I had CCM install new reeds; they also removed the rubber coating on the cage its self. This helped a lot.
Maybe you guys know this but you can adjust the idle mixture by adjusting the intake butterfly stop. The Merc shop manual states this. I set mine as lean as possible (open the stop to allow more air) just to the point where it doesn’t lean sneeze. This also seemed to help plug longevity.

Plug longevity also increased when I switched to a hotter plug, PBR7EIX vs the 8. I did the plug switch four years ago. Yea, I was worried that I was going to toast the engine but all is good.
Good information.

I would recommend being very cautious about utilizing this (or similar) combination. Even the slightest fuel quality or octane drop could potentially spell disaster (more so than before).