Thread: 2013 ZX 190 175

2013 ZX 190 175

Have a couple questions about this boat. I traded in my Skeeter SX176 that had a 115 4 stroke on it, top speed maybe 43 on a good day. So now I have this ZX190, took it out today for the first time, love the boat. So far Im very happy, motor runs good and lots of storage. Very clean boat, the past owner took good care of it. I was never worried about speed but some of the numbers I have read on here dont match up with what I got today. First thing I did was filled up both tanks. Got to the water and got the boat up to 59.1 mph. The prop has a stamp on it 25-M, and the last owner has the jackplate up so its now showing 6 dots with the 7th dot almost showing. Guys this a new world for me so please help me out. I have never had a boat with this size motor or have never had a jackplate to deal with. Should the plate be that high with that prop?

The other question, Boat ran good all day. Went to start it and no power at all. I checked the fuse panel in the rod locker but I think that it most pop out when it trips and you just push it back in to reset ( boat did not come with any books ). Well the main power breaker was ok. So now Im thinking battery... I got back to ramp and tested the battery and its was full charge. I installed my humminbird units over the past couple days and thought I had the nuts tight on the battery but I guess not. When I loosened the neg side and tightened it back down the power switch lite back up. Tilt worked and motor fired right up. A guy at the ramp said I should put some battery grease on the studs and reattached the connections. When I installed those units I really tightened down those bolts, not sure how it came loose, in fact it took a little just to get it loose. Has anyone had this happen before?

2. Member
    seven dots and runs about 60 with 2 guys and half tanks of gas is where you will be I have a 2011 with the 175 , far as battery push all wires to one side while you tighten them then once there tight they will stay there

3. Member
    I have '14 same set up. 7 dots showing, 64 in summer, 66 in winter, 2 guys. 5,800 rpms

I had to look... Never noticed the dots before. I have 4 dots showing. I usually run 61-62 at around 5200-5300. I don't know what the recommended max RPM's are.

5. Derek McCullough
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog View Post
    I have '14 same set up. 7 dots showing, 64 in summer, 66 in winter, 2 guys. 5,800 rpms
    That's fast for that boat. I have a 13 with the 175 HPDI and two guys with half tanks of gas and empty livewells 62 tops, fishing alone I have hit 64 in the winter time.

Not sure the number of dots on my 13 but by myself i can get 65.2 with both tanks full with a partner 62 im turning 5400 rpms thats all it will go it hasnt been raised or lowered sense it left the factory according to skeeter and yamaha the height is correct for weight and 25m prop

7. Member
    I was at a BassMaster tournament and was talking to a Yamaha rep about the SHO 175 and SHO 150. I told him my dealer had told me the SHO 175 has issues and should stay with the 150. The rep told me that was true (for now). The 175 wasn't geared right or something and about all you can do is play with the prop or jackplate. I have a TZX190 with an HPDI 175 and can never get over 65 by myself and with two people low's 60's or high 50's at best. I had to get a 5" jackplate to even get that as mine didn't come with a jackplate when I bought it new.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

8. Member
    That 59.1 i got was on a small body of water. It was my first time out with it and I may not have had the trim up all the way for top speed. I will be on a larger body Sunday and will be able to get a better idea and I will post what I get.
    The battery... I applied some grease to the connections and it seems to be ok. Everything is as tightened down as I can get. My old Skeeter the main cables to the battery were hooked up to the main posts like a car. This one isnt, they are all on the screw posts.

I have read on here to use normal nuts on the battery post and not use the wing nuts.
    Last edited by axis; 07-10-2017 at 10:26 AM.

10. Member
    I've got a 2014 and I have had it to 67 on a very cold day for LA. but normally in the summer I can run about 62-64. That is just me in the boat with my gear and at least 1 full tank of gas. My prop is not stamped so I don't know what pitch it is. So I think if you got 59 out of it on your first run you are doing ok. You will enjoy your new boat.
    2014 ZX190, 175 HPDI
    HELIX 10 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N

11. Member
    Ok, got out to the lake today.. Got boat in water and it fired right up then died. No power.... So after messing with the battery some more I called it a day.
    Got back home and a friend I fish with came over and we started looking at it. What we found was the wire going to the connector (not the main battery cables) the wires that run the trim, livewells, etc. ran through the connector and stopped flush exiting the hole. When we pushed up on it the power light lite up and everything worked just fine. When we let pressure off everything died. The wires had to be touching the battery post. I went out and picked up some new connectors and made sure I striped the wire enough to slide it through the connector and rap around the battery post. Now all is well... Everything works... So next week I will go back out and give it a good test run.

12. Member
    Hit the Potomac today.. Boat ran in the high 63mph.. When I got behind my buddy and had clean water I got her to just over 64. Loving this boat so far.. I did mess up and broke a grease fitting off when I remover the motor mount. It had a spring in it. Going to do some research and order a new one.