Thread: Ohio River

Ohio River

I'm looking to start Fishing the river. I've never been on the river and was wanting some general help. I'd like to stay around the Ripley​ Maysville area. Not looking for any spots but would like to know what are the better creeks and what depth should I be looking is the main river worth fishing If so which areas? Any info is appreciated.

2. Banned
    I'd start in White Oak and Straight Creek and learn those two and branch out from there... Dan

3. Member
    Thanks Dan I appreciate that. Are you able to run on plane in either of these creeks or do you need to idle. Like j said never been on the river and have no knowledge of it.

4. Banned
    No, all of the creeks are idle up that way... At least on the Ohio side... Not sure about the Kentucky side... That's why I don't head up to that pool, too much idling... But it's one of the better pools for bass in the area... Dan

Back when I was fishing BFL's, the vast majority of the guys fished the creeks. But, they were over-looking some good main river fishing. Look for anything that breaks the current, like gravel bars that form at the mouth of small creeks. Looks for stumps and laydowns on the main river. But, pay particular attention to look for any weeds, both submerged as well as emergent vegetation.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    dont run close to banks, lots of sand bars and rocks off banks
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Back when I was fishing BFL's, the vast majority of the guys fished the creeks. But, they were over-looking some good main river fishing. Look for anything that breaks the current, like gravel bars that form at the mouth of small creeks. Looks for stumps and laydowns on the main river. But, pay particular attention to look for any weeds, both submerged as well as emergent vegetation.
    I rarely fish creeks. The main river to me is where it's at in the pool I fish the most anyways. Also always scan for floater logs.. Like said above don't run to close banks. It maybe 15ft+ but there is also dead heads that are sticking up from the bottom and those change all the time with flooding and high water.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    I rarely fish creeks. The main river to me is where it's at in the pool I fish the most anyways
    What pool are you referring to if you don't mind me asking.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebass View Post
    What pool are you referring to if you don't mind me asking.
    R.C. Byrd pool.

10. Banned
    From what I've heard and seen there aren't any weeds to be found on the Meldahl pool... Vanished and never came back... Same for the Markland pool... Gone... Now the Greenup pool is a different story... Dan

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    From what I've heard and seen there aren't any weeds to be found on the Meldahl pool... Vanished and never came back... Same for the Markland pool... Gone... Now the Greenup pool is a different story... Dan

I fish meldahl pool a lot and there are weeds from the dam all the way to straight creek. (13 miles) they did spray them about 10-12 years ago but they are coming back pretty good.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

Look for any place we used to call "washes" areas where when there is heavy rain it flows and washes into the river. There is usually a deep hole there with good wood that holds fish.
    14' Alumacraft Green machine.
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    24V. 75# Motorguide (tiller)
    Non green- 9.9 merc

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Generator View Post
    I fish meldahl pool a lot and there are weeds from the dam all the way to straight creek. (13 miles) they did spray them about 10-12 years ago but they are coming back pretty good.
    Thanks for the heads-up... Dan

I've caught a lot of fish right on the Ripley riverfront ... "believe it or not!"

15. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Way back in the olden days when I used to fish the Ohio river(1977-1990), we used to also hit some tie ups/around barge-boat park areas(had to be very careful) and usually did good,,,especially around one grain/feed loading area,,,,,lots of bass and a ton of catfish. Those areas always had wash outs and deep holes. Been wanting to get back someday. Tore a lower unit off a GT150 hitting a rockpile on a 350V Ranger.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

16. Member
    Thanks for all the input. One more question does anyone ever fish below the Meldahl dam. Is the Little Miami any good?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebass View Post
    Thanks for all the input. One more question does anyone ever fish below the Meldahl dam. Is the Little Miami any good?
    We do fish below the dam lots of good smallies fishing but it's hit or miss. You can go in the little Miami but it's idel only.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time