Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    80 Grit affixed to bunks using sheet metal screws. Power loading is a must.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    just regular pressure treated 2x4. when i redo it ill used kiln dried

gotorbak won't work on a bass cat. they have a reverse chine on the transom that causes issues

Basscat put them on my trailer.

3. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    80 Grit affixed to bunks using sheet metal screws. Power loading is a must.
    Power loading is not required. It's just something allot of us (me 30+ years) have been accustomed to doing. I have had Gatorbak's for over 3 years and don't power load any more. Back in a bit further and it slips right on.
    Example in videos here:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=827852

Last edited by mikesxpress; 07-13-2017 at 04:50 AM.

4. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Do your bunks stand on edge like other allison models? Forget the gatorbacks for that. Do you have blisters? Not much to worry about on an allison if you dont already have them.
    On edge Gatorbak's:
    http://gatorbak.com/2x4-bunk-covers/

Spray your Carpet Bunks with Silicone--Slides on and off with ease!!

6. mikesxpress
    It will also attract and hold dust/dirt that will scratch your hull.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Basscat put them on my trailer.
    i doubt they will now

i miss my power loading. my boat doesn't like to load straight floating on and i have to jump in the water to get out. not gonna work come winter
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 07-13-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Yes, only carpeted bunks on a Bass Cat at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Power loading is not required. It's just something allot of us (me 30+ years) have been accustomed to doing. I have had Gatorbak's for over 3 years and don't power load any more. Back in a bit further and it slips right on.
    Example in videos here:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=827852

That trailer is down in the water pretty far if I could get mine down that far I wouldn't have to power load either. I would never get my bow over the roller like that I have to back my trailer and just until the water level is at the top of the short bunks and then on the long bunks there's a lot of it out of water still and that's the part I have to power load on your banks for almost totally submerged so not a very good video On not having to power load
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

10. Member
    Generally it is easier to get the bow over the roller if the trailer is backed further in, right? I only have problems on super steep ramps where I have to keep the bunks out of the water or I'll drive the boat straight onto the roller without hitting the bunks. If you back it in further, the roller should be closer to the water and easier to get the bow over it.

I have gator backs and I went from leaving about 8" of the long bunks out of the water to just an inch or two. Makes all the difference and I don't need to power load.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    Generally it is easier to get the bow over the roller if the trailer is backed further in, right? I only have problems on super steep ramps where I have to keep the bunks out of the water or I'll drive the boat straight onto the roller without hitting the bunks. If you back it in further, the roller should be closer to the water and easier to get the bow over it.

I have gator backs and I went from leaving about 8" of the long bunks out of the water to just an inch or two. Makes all the difference and I don't need to power load.
    I guess I can't really speak for all boats but the way Rangers are set up if you back the trailer in too far then the Bow will be under the bow roller will be under the bow roller trust me
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS

12. Member
    Thats how my triton is. Too far back and its under the roller.

13. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    My Champ, too...

14. Member
    my phoenix when I got it was bad about coming in under the roller. I installed a few shim lifts in the front and that helped make my boat reasonable. I then added the gatorbaks. This required me to power load very little and only for the last few inches and by powerload I mean 2k RPM's not 5k. Still I noticed what looked like too much Gatorback coming off on my hull. For the most part, I could remove it with my finger once it dried but I saw a few marks that appeared to put light scratches on the hull. So last time out I put some Dupont non-stick dry lubricant on my bunks. I was surprised it did not make them feel slick. When I loaded I did as Mike did only and when I stopped I got out and shut the motor off. I hooked up the winch and was able to Lift my nose over the roller and winch at the same time. I'm pretty sure that I could not have done this without the non-stick lubricant. I saw no marks on my hull after this load. next time out I will coat once more with the non-stick and hope I continue to see less friction on loading.

I did have one insight I wanted to share. Before I put any DuPont on my bunks, I dried them. They had far more dirt on them then I would have guessed. I'd suggest wiping down the bunks every now and again.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

15. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfarm View Post
    That trailer is down in the water pretty far if I could get mine down that far I wouldn't have to power load either. I would never get my bow over the roller like that I have to back my trailer and just until the water level is at the top of the short bunks and then on the long bunks there's a lot of it out of water still and that's the part I have to power load on your banks for almost totally submerged so not a very good video On not having to power load
    It's a great video on how to not power load for many folks. All trailers are configured differently. If you don't have sideboards/guides that extend up high enough to center the boat on the trailer when it's flooded and facilitate nudging the bow roller with the eye underneath/bow above, then IMHO it was built incorrectly. This is boat #13 and I have had a couple like that too. Fishing 2-3+ days per week, I launch/load at allot of saltwater tidal ramps and deal with water level fluctuations in feet and have to adjust my trailer depth based on what I have to work with when I get back to the ramp. Occasionally I have to leave a foot of the long center bunks above the waterline and I just coast the boat into the bunks then crank it up a bit. No issues. And I have been power loading since 1979 and just don't do it anymore.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfarm View Post
    I guess I can't really speak for all boats but the way Rangers are set up if you back the trailer in too far then the Bow will be under the bow roller will be under the bow roller trust me
    Interesting. On my 520Vx, and on most ramps, the trailer in the video is perfect. I don't think I have tried with it any deeper than that.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    Interesting. On my 520Vx, and on most ramps, the trailer in the video is perfect. I don't think I have tried with it any deeper than that.
    Yeah that trailers in there pretty deep and believe me if I put mine in that far my bow roller will be over my bow.
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS

I shot a little silicone spray on my backs. Loads like a dream it also helped when i got my roller to roll. That pos pvc aint worth a crap. Swap to stolz and little silicone goes on like grease lighting
    Phoenix 919 pro xp

If I put mine in that deep, the back would float off over the sides of the trailer

20. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    If I put mine in that deep, the back would float off over the sides of the trailer
    What make/model/year of boat?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12