Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did I just screw myself? Please help

Did I just deactivate chirp dv and replace with chirp cv when doing the software update? is the software now disabling the dv from the gt52?

10 seconds on the water and I swear the image is different than before. ..in my head?

can I uninstall an update? factor defaults didn't do that.

I specifically bought this for dv instead of cv. gt52 transducer.

not happy

help?

2. Member
    You're good.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    thanks

4. Member
    I updated my 73 & 93 and I agree with you mjk my sare not as good as they were before. I'm not satisfied with my garmin at all. My said down veiw before now it's clear veiw after update

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjk1210 View Post
    Did I just deactivate chirp dv and replace with chirp cv when doing the software update? is the software now disabling the dv from the gt52?

10 seconds on the water and I swear the image is different than before. ..in my head?

can I uninstall an update? factor defaults didn't do that.

I specifically bought this for dv instead of cv. gt52 transducer.

not happy

help?
    What software are you up-grading from? How long has it been since you did an up-date?

They said they were only changing the name from downvu to clearvu, and the functionality would remain the same.

We do know they removed the down element from the CV transducers while claiming there was no change.

They also claim there is no change to how clearvu works on the mfd with GT transducers vrs CV transducers.

I see no reason to trust them on anything they say from here on out. They have demonstrated quite clearly they are more than willing to lie about this stuff.

On the other hand, I dont see why they would want to disable the down element on GT transducers ........unless.... there isnt enough memory in the unit to handle two different ways to process the down image data?

Do you have before and after screen shots?
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

6. Member
    3.8 to 4.10 with a gt52 transducer. The update did fix the unit from shutting down for no reason

7. Member
    I do not have before and after screen shots.
    I used a striker 7sv with clear view for about 100 hours in the last 3 months. My first boat and electronics so I've paid attention to everything very closely as I learn how to read and interpret these things.
    Bought an echo map chirp 73sv with DV and SV and a gt52 specifically to get DV out of it along with mapping. 1st time out I instantly noticed how much crisper the image for DV was and how it looked like the Chirp SV did on the striker and this new unit.
    Then the other day I did the update. Only one I've done on it. This morning all DV wording on unit now says cv and you will have to take my word for it that now it looks just like it used to on my striker 7sv with cv. A almost cartoonish or animated. Not like the chirp SV images at all anymore. Going out again tomorrow but I know what I saw already and I'm not gonna argue about it. Just saying what I saw then and now.
    To me...it makes sense that after the lawsuit an update would disable the dv. Just my opinion there. I haven't and don't want to read every detail about the lawsuit. Just want my chirp DV back.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie. View Post
    3.8 to 4.10 with a gt52 transducer. The update did fix the unit from shutting down for no reason
    That's a good thing there. So I will be happy about that (didn't happen to me yet but...) thanks for the reply.
    I should mention that I am somewhat familiar with the lawsuit and settlement but as I mentioned in the last reply I surely don't know all the details. Thanks.
    Love panoptix tho. Regularly catching fish with that thing and because of that thing. Since I'm new to this stuff my friends and bass club buddies don't necessarily believe me yet but that's cool. It will be our little secret. Hahaha

9. Member
    Another thought. ... I saw in a couple places where troyboy (???) posted that there was not image difference between the gt and cv trandsucers. If the software was upgraded to the cv version already then perhaps it is because it is meant to not use the dv portion on a gt transducer thereby making the image the same as on a cv transducer as he posted.
    I also think Garmin is being very specific with the language they use describing what is going on. If they said that cv is a name change in the update might it be because the name changed? Yes. If they said it doesn't change the functionality of the gt transducers dv portion then it might be because the hardware can't be changed. But I still think that it leaves the possibility that the software doesn't utilize that functionality. But that might be the conspiracy theorist coming out in me. Now where is my aluminum foil hat?

10. Banned
    Garmin can program the software to do whatever they want with the hardware it's running. VW is a prime example of this with how they were cheating emissions testings on the diesels.

Unless anyone has a way to read the uncompiled code of the software we have no way to know, one way or the other, if their "update" has in fact disabled the down view element on transducers in favor of the combined SV image that ClearVu uses.

You really want to test the theory? Put a strip of lead tape down the center of your GT transducer. If you still have a DV image you'll know it's coming from the SV elements since the DV element is blocked.
    Last edited by Riccochet; 07-02-2017 at 07:59 AM.

11. Member
    I picked garmin over lowarance but I'm going back to look at lowarance. I think the 4.10 download changed read of transducer to the mfd. l heard how good the maps were on garmin but I'm not sold on them either

It would be a great comparison if someone would grab some screenshots of some detailed structure, then upgrade and take some screenshots at the same location of the same cover. If Garmin really did reduce the quality of the images with a software upgrade, that would really piss allot of customers off as well as open them up for a class action law suite. If this is true, you can always go back to 3.80, well unless 4.10 fixed your lockup issue?

13. Banned
    I'm still on 3.80. Not sure I want to upgrade just yet. I'll wait for confirmation that I can flash back to the older version.

What would be really cool is for someone to actually contact Garmin support or send a PM to Todd to find out exactly what the update included rather than just speculate on an Internet forum. Just sayin!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

15. Member
    I thought I read that you could not go back to 3.8 I would like to know how.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    What would be really cool is for someone to actually contact Garmin support or send a PM to Todd to find out exactly what the update included rather than just speculate on an Internet forum. Just sayin!
    Is Garmin obligated to tell you that they nerfed a feature? What business is going to tell you they are screwing you?

17. Banned
    im still confused over it.....does this only affect the downview on a sideview unit?

what if i have, for example, a striker 4cv. since its only a downview model, does it still not have a downview element and is using sideview to produce the image?

Quote Originally Posted by Okie. View Post
    I thought I read that you could not go back to 3.8 I would like to know how.
    I have, in the past, successfully reverted my 73sv CHIRP back to a previous version without any issues. I've read it was not recommended to do this since it could brick the unit (yeah, whatever), so proceed at your own risk.

Preparation Downgrade Echomap

1. save routes, tracks, waypoints first save, since after the DOWNGRADE a
    Factory reset and thus all data are deleted.

2. Copy the desired firmware "gupdate.gcd" to "x: \ garmin" to an SD card.

3. any existing GarminDevice.xml in "x: \ garmin" necessarily delete!

4. Insert the SD card into the switched off device in Slot 1 (left)

5. Remove an SD card inserted in slot 2 as a safety measure

6. With the device switched off, press and hold the "UP arrow" on the Echomap 50.

7. Press and hold the "Power On" button.

8. After a while, the display shows "HOLDING BOOT BLOCK". "Power On" and "Power On"
    Press and hold the arrow key UP!

9. "SOFTWARE LOADING" appears in the display again. Still
    Press and hold "ON" and "UP arrow" until "LOADER READY"
    is shown. The keys can now be released.
    Who has released "LOADER READY" must start again with 3. as the system
    Then again created an XML file on the SD card.

10. During the downgrade, "SOFTWARE LOADING" will appear in the display again.

11. After completion, the device performs a factory reset and boots with "new"
    Old firmware. The basic settings (language, units, ...) must now be set, like at initial commissioning.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I did just that earlier this month because I noticed that all dv references were now cv ones. His response was that it was nomenclature only, my unit still says I have GT52HW selected for ducer on screen.

20. Banned
    thanks pungo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast