Thread: 73 SI question

73 SI question

I have had a Garmin 73SV graph for 3 mo now. I mainly like to crappie fish and I bought the side image to locate brush and structure. I have some tops I have put out that are 10-12ft tall and bushy. Made out of bamboo. I have located and marked them with bouys and then drove 30-40 ft to the side to see what the look like on side image. I have tried different colors, frequencys, travel speed, gain. I cannot consistently see brush. I have been in friends boats with lowrance and can see them good. What am I doing wrong with the Garmin graphs??? Thanks! krw

2. Member
    Which transducer do you have? Is the 73sv a Stricker, echoMAP, or echoMAP CHIRP?
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Which transducer do you have? Is the 73sv a Stricker, echoMAP, or echoMAP CHIRP?
    EchoMap Chirp. CV52HW???

4. Member
    This is a good combination for SideVu for crappie. I've used a Striker 7sv and an echoMAP CHIRP 93sv for that purpose with good success although I was using a GT52 which would have different DownVu but as I understand it the same SideVu. Here are my suggestions.

1. Set the contrast to DEFAULT
    2. Set the brightness to AUTO MEDIUM
    3. Set the range to 60 ft for the depth you mentioned. I like to set the range to just more than the depth.
    4. Set the frequency to 455. Or if you set it to 800 manually increase the contract and brightness
    5. Set the color scheme to Midnight Blue.
    6. Use full screen for SideVu only since you have a 7 inch screen.

That ought to do it.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    Thank You! I will give it a try

6. Member
    Follow lwinchersters advice. That should get you as close as you can get with your Garmin. Unfortunately, you are finding out that Garmins side and downvu do not compare well to Lowrance and Humminbird.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....