2002 rangere/johnson 50 hp check engine light

So I went to Minnesota fishing, 4th day in with no trouble I went into some shallow water and got moss all around lower unit so I stopped trimmed up and cleaned off thoroughly, my check engine light and alarm came on and the light stayed on. The next morning I went for a cruise and it came on 10-15 minutes into the trip so I parked it. Since then I took to a mechanic and he changed impeller that really looked fine and blew out the head. It never stopped smoking and never stopped peeing. Boat also has low oil light, no oil, and hot, but just the check engine light comes on, my question is what does check engine refer to on a 2002 ranger with a Johnson 50 hp 2 stroke.

2. Member
    fuel restriction

3. Member
    Thanks for the quick response, so I replaced the fuel filter, ran some seafoam through my last tank of gas, took my fuel line off and pumped a little fuel out into a glass jar what should be my next step drain the tank ?

Did you check thermostat for grass and crap ?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    The mechanic said the thermostat has been removed so im assuming by blowing out the head its all clear through there

Did he put a new one back in? Do not run without it.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    no he didn't put one back in its never had one since I got it . What will it do without it?

There is no check engine circuit for a 2-stroke 50 HP 2002. It could be a bad gauge or a shorted tan/orange striped wire.

If there is a temperature related problem, The TEMP or HOT light comes on
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

9. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lickcreek79 View Post
    no he didn't put one back in its never had one since I got it . What will it do without it?
    Cold seize the motor/never get to operating temp/carbon up rings and pistons and motor....all kinds of ugly things can happen.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

10. Member
    Thanks for all the help, I'm gonna put a thermostat in and a new tachometer, hopefully that's it. I'm trying to get it ready to sell, but don't want to with something wrong with it.