ZX225 - Trolling motor prop "in" or "out"

If that makes sense. I have always stored mine "prop in" ie facing centerline, but with a dual mount up front it limits how far I can raise the TM, due to the prop hitting the mount when stowed.

Simplest solution would be to flip how I store it, ie "prop out" and I've seen at least one Skeeter pic setup this way, but not sure of any pros/cons, or if it even matters? Since I am running AT I have to decide on a direction and stay with it.

Reason for all this - I think my TM (Fortrex) might be running too deep really - currently the head is only about a inch above the mounting bracket. In the Skeeter manual, they suggest at least 3" above (which I think is for the cover more than anything?). Anyway, how deep should a TM actually run. Going to takes some actual on the water measurements this weekend - but my AT is mounted 12" up from the motor IIRC, and it's in the water quite a bit as well. Will take a tape measure and get some real numbers, but was curious about TM stowing options.

Did some internet searching for skeeter pics - see plenty of pics with it mounted both ways, so I guess it's just users choice? I think I will go ahead and look at flipping it around so that it gains me some adjustability room in the height, at least. Will have to remove/remount the AT bracket which is why I was looking for any cons to running with prop facing outboard...

EDIT well that was a bust - I can flip the head around of course, but then there is no room for the AT as it now hits the dual bow unit setup when trying to stow it instead of the prop hitting it lol... Theoretically I could flip the FO bracket down and away and probably gain the clearance - but who want's to mess with that every time you deploy and stow :(.

Oh well, I will have to either just keep running it deep, or raise it up and trust myself to make sure I turn off the switch so I don't accidently activate it and whack the prop against the BBT mount (which I'm sure the prop will lose that battle lol) when I stow/tow it, etc.

Was worth the time to check, as I wanted to lower the FO AT Bracket anyway, so accomplished that.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 08-18-2022 at 02:40 AM.

3. Member
    I am certainly no professional on the matter, I am just thinking out loud here. As far as running the troller too deep, what kind of fishing do you mostly do? I could put mine down in the garage and take some measurements but I know mine is set pretty deep as well. I do fish some bigger water and can get in some waves so for me it’s setup to be deeper. But I do some shallow junk fishing as well and it’s not been an issue so far. I know we have different boats and years and all that, but if needed I could take measurements after work if it can help in any way. Again probably useless info but just trying to help
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

4. Member
    my zx250 i always stowed in, but my fxr its out, due to livescope transducer, i think the main deal for in or out is so your cover will fit right, the rest is just what works for u

Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I am certainly no professional on the matter, I am just thinking out loud here. As far as running the troller too deep, what kind of fishing do you mostly do? I could put mine down in the garage and take some measurements but I know mine is set pretty deep as well. I do fish some bigger water and can get in some waves so for me it’s setup to be deeper. But I do some shallow junk fishing as well and it’s not been an issue so far. I know we have different boats and years and all that, but if needed I could take measurements after work if it can help in any way. Again probably useless info but just trying to help
    Thanks - I'm in Florida... so mostly shallow. 10ft is Deep around here lol. Well there is some depth in the SJR channels, but it mostly shallow shallow shallow :). I've got it about 3" above the collar now, which is what Skeeter recommends (again, I think mainly for the cover to fit). But it's not resting on the collar now, and I was able to drop the AT down some on the shaft as well. Will see how it lines up this weekend.

6. Member
    I've tried both and ultimately stuck with the prop facing in. Having said that, the benefit of storing it with the prop facing out is that the long part of the head faces in and isn't sticking out over the gunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattsuey View Post
    my zx250 i always stowed in, but my fxr its out, due to livescope transducer, i think the main deal for in or out is so your cover will fit right, the rest is just what works for u
    Yeah I have to stay with in - the dual stack mount just takes up space where either the TM prop or the AT bracket/transducer sits. So the decision was made for me :). As mentioned above, tweaked the length a bit and will check it out on the water this weekend. Easy to drop back down on the water if need be.

8. Member
    If you aren’t in waves very often I bet you will be okay. Put it in and give a few bounces, if it stays in the water and works your good right lol. Just needs to be able to do it’s job, whether 3” in the water or 3’

I usually stow mine with the prop out. It lets the water drain out of the lower unit, and overboard. The cover fits better with the prop in, but it still works either way.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

10. Member
    With my 52" inch Ultrex set shallow for NJ fishing mine has to be prop out otherwise it hits the boat. For long term storage a I lower the TM so it hangs off the front more and store it in so the cover fits.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    I've tried both and ultimately stuck with the prop facing in. Having said that, the benefit of storing it with the prop facing out is that the long part of the head faces in and isn't sticking out over the gunnel.
    This is true and I’m surprised more people don’t realize this (on Ultrex). I have also noticed that the trolling motor is more secure (bounces less) in rough water with the prop out. This has been the case with every trolling motor I have owned, and across all brands. Finally, as far as Skeeter goes, covers are fitted to the prop being out.

12. Member
    I'm dealing with this same issue at the moment. I'm switching from a BBT mount to a boat logix mount to see if it gives me more clearance. Next step if that doesn't work is to try to get a 45" ultrex mount and shorten my shaft.

One thing I did notice with prop out (before I realized the AT Mount/BBT Dual Stack wouldn't allow it to work anyway), is that when I flipped to prop out, my Fortex cable basically had to point strait up when the TM was stowed and the pedal was as far back/down as it would go. So I assume some sort of internal cable re-adjustment would have been necessary also. I've seen pics of Skeeters with prop out and normal cable positioning so I guess it's just part of how the TM is initially setup when installed.

Anyway I'm back to prop in for now, was on the water today and the depth is not too deep, and I'm about 2.5" above the collar so pretty close to Skeeter's recommendation. Prop clears the GPS "wing" on the Live so I'm not going to worry about it anymore. Will revisit if/when upgrade to a Ghost or Ultrex ;)

14. Member
    Glad it’s sorted itself out

Since I've switch TM's to a Ghost and also added a Pole Mount, as well as a Ghost 360 Nose Cone, been reviewing my thread ;). Since AT transducer is now on a pole, I can go either way. Orginally set it to prop in as that's the way I had the Fortrex, but the Ghost Nose cone is kinda long and sticks out quite a bit. I flipped it today to prop out, which tucks the TM head in a bit cleaner, so will run it like this for a while and see how it does. Don't really use a cover much if at all now so no worries about prop cutting/tearing the boat cover - but even if I did put it on I could just flip the TM over when I put the cover on -

16. Member
    Store it both ways, and wiggle the shaft while stored. You will find it is tighter and more stable with the prop OUT. If you have a factory cover - read the directions. It will say store the trolling motor with the prop OUT.

This topic gets debated probably a lot more than it should be.

17. Member
    IN, because that's the way it should be. Looks natural to me and have stowed my trolling motors IN for over 30 years.