Char Griller Outlaw Smoker?

My wife bought me a Char-Griller Outlaw smoker with the side mini charcoal grill/smoke box. I have used it a handful of times and can't seem to get it up to temperature for smoking(250*). I've tried more charcoal and larger wood pieces, adding more wood into the smoke box during smoking, soaking the wood prices and can't seem to get it past 150-175 degrees. What am I doing wrong here? I usually smoke ribs, start them and finish them on the gas grill but put them on the smoker for 3-4 hours and get good flavor but the temps are messing with the cooking process IMHO. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Did you put the damper between the grill and smoke box?

These are some of the hardest smokers to use. It can be hard to figure out whether you need to open or close the exhaust damper to heat the grill up.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I have been leaving the damper on the grill side open, leaving the damper on the smoke box tray cracked and leaving the cover on the grill exhaust closed. I was wondering if I was just dumb or if it was kinda tough to use...

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS View Post
    I have been leaving the damper on the grill side open, leaving the damper on the smoke box tray cracked and leaving the cover on the grill exhaust closed. I was wondering if I was just dumb or if it was kinda tough to use...
    I don't think the damper on the smoke box is supposed to be there. I think that is for when the unit is a grill only.
    nothing else matters.​

More oxygen means a hotter fire. I would open the vent on the fire box (under the fire) more, and also play with the smoke stack vent to pull air through the coals and smoke chamber. Remember you want thin blue smoke passing through as opposed to a lot of white smoke just sitting there.
    Last edited by NiteBite6855; 06-30-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I don't think the damper on the smoke box is supposed to be there. I think that is for when the unit is a grill only.
    I could be wrong, but I figured he was talking about the vent on the outside of the fire box.
    Last edited by NiteBite6855; 06-30-2017 at 12:17 PM.

7. Member
    There's two dampers, one at the smoke/grill attachment which I leave full open and another on the smoke box to let air in the smoke box. So next time leave all of them open to get the most airflow through both the smoke box and grill itself? Also, what should I be using for wood? Whole pieces or smaller chunks? Thanks for the input guys!

8. Member
    And yes typically there is a lot of white smoke when I open the lids.

Not necessarily all the way open, that may be too hot. Just saying if you want more heat give the fire more air. But definitely leave the damper between the fire box and smoke chamber fully open.

Quote Originally Posted by DTS View Post
    And yes typically there is a lot of white smoke when I open the lids.
    That could be because your wood and coals were smoldering instead of burning

11. Member
    Now I've got some direction here! Thanks y'all.

You will have to play with both vents but it's a balance of keeping your temp and smoke right.

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteBite6855 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I figured he was talking about the vent on the outside of the fire box.
    The damper between the smoke box and fire box. It's supposed to be removed if you add the smoke box.

BTW, DTS, Photobucket has stopped allowing photos to be posted on forums so your signature is just a big Photobucket ad.
    nothing else matters.​

I know, I just thought that he may have been talking about the other one. Turns out he wasn't. Lol.

15. Member
    Signature fixed lol! Thanks for the info guys, sounds like this weekend may be a great time to do some smoking testing