Thread: ultrex ???

eddrunner@bellsouth.net

ultrex ???

Considering a ultrex for my 920. What is a fair price ? What length shaft ? Who to purchase from ? How much money am I looking at ? Is it a big job to remove my Fortexx 112 and install the ultrex ? For the guy s running them are they worth the extra money? I fish on a mostly calm big lake . A lot of questions I know but thanks for any info. Ed

2. Member
    Just got one installed a few weeks ago. MSRP is the going rate (unless your willing to wait a long time and get it at Tacklewarehouse during one of the sales). The 112 45 shafts are very hard to come by, so get on the waiting list from a number of dealers. They are really helpful for fishing.

3. Member
    Best investment I have made in fishing in years. Love my poles and they are a great tool too but in my opinion completely different uses for each. I have a 45" 112 that I put on my new 721 carried over from my previous boat.
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

4. Member
    If you cannot find a need or use(something of value) to be "spot locked" on a spot, or use the other features they offer, then I would say because you fish a calm lake then it's probably not worth the investment. I have an ultrex, imo the fortrex is obsolete now because of it, but the fortrex is still a great motor. If I had a fortrex and didn't need the features of the ultrex, I would use the money and upgrade other parts of my boat such as electronics.
    2022 Phoenix 721 / 250 Mercury ProXs / MK Ultrex
    HB Helix 12 G4N / Garmin 106sv / Livescope

5. eddrunner@bellsouth.net
    Thanks . Not sure I can justify the $2500 for my fishing conditions . I can see the difference in other fishing cond. Ed

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDRUNNER View Post
    Thanks . Not sure I can justify the $2500 for my fishing conditions . I can see the difference in other fishing cond. Ed
    Yep, you just answered that for yourself. It's a big investment, not worth it if you don't see a need for it.
    2022 Phoenix 721 / 250 Mercury ProXs / MK Ultrex
    HB Helix 12 G4N / Garmin 106sv / Livescope

7. Member
    Edrunner do you have Poles?
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

8. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    As for the installation...I'm not a diy'er at all, BUT I was able to swap out the 45" 112 Fortrex and put a 45" 112 Ultrex on my 921.
    I wouldn't/won't have anything else now that I have one. I was able to sell my Fortrex to make up for some of the expense.
    Is your water always calm, or do you only go out if it's calm?
    Don't you ever want to go to other water to fish that may not be calm?
    Once you use an Ultrex, even for the first time, you're going to wonder how you lived without one.
    I highly recommend. Good luck making the decision. It's a big one

9. Member
    I've had an Ultrex on my boat and have made 2-1/2 trips, it is an amazing piece of equipment for fishing offshore. I replaced a Motorguide Tour 109 that I had not like since day 1 on my boat and that was 4 years ago. The Ultrex is by and far the smoothest TM I've used in my limited years of boat ownership. Tough call, good luck.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDRUNNER View Post
    Considering a ultrex for my 920. What is a fair price ? What length shaft ? Who to purchase from ? How much money am I looking at ? Is it a big job to remove my Fortexx 112 and install the ultrex ? For the guy s running them are they worth the extra money? I fish on a mostly calm big lake . A lot of questions I know but thanks for any info. Ed

I've had an Ultrex for 6 months now. I fish two big tournament trails here in the southeast, so it's seen a fair amount of abuse. At the end of the day, I don't love it. It makes a little to much noise for me. They need a dumped down version for the tournament bass fisherman.

11. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I agree that the noise, although different, does seem quite loud. Sort of a robotic type sound when head spins. Prop movement about like old TM's. Doubtful it spooks fish drop shotting straight down 10'+ even. Other than that I'm casting...'cept maybe flippin, the noise may effect the bass then. Time will tell.

12. Member
    If i could find a 112 52" in stock anywhere i would already own one. Still cant believe theyre having this much trouble keeping up with demand
    They aint got hands, set the hook

13. Member
    I have one for sale

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    I have one for sale

A 112 52"?
    They aint got hands, set the hook

15. 921screaming250
    have a 920 with 45 inch ultrex....love it...many advantages