Mercury won't trim all the way up

noticed my trim won't go all the way up during plane but Fine when idling. Will only gon3/4 of the way during plane after that it's just clicks and won't go up Doesn't have a trim limit. Have a 00 EFI. Could it be my Hydraulic fluid in my trim unit?

2. Member
    it does have limit in hydrolics / check valves to keep from over tilt while underway
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

The trim/tilt system on Mercurys is designed to only allow trim while the boat is underway but will allow trim and tilt at idle speeds. Once the piston in the trim/tilt unit reaches a certain point (basically max trim position), a port is uncovered by the trim/tilt piston that goes to a relief valve which will lift at a certain pressure. The extra force required to lift your outboard while the boat is in motion will cause the relief valve to lift. Older style trim/tilt systems used to have a limit switch and used a 3 wire system. You had a button for trim and a button for tilt.

4. Member
    Had the boat for awhile now and always been able to trim as much as I want to but now it won't go all the way up.

5. Member
    WHY would you want to trim it to the point that the prop is near the surface of the water even at slow speeds. Applying thrust at such an angle will lift the bow, sink the transom and produce a lot of noise and very little "go". That one piston is simply not strong enough to restrain the motor at high power levels. That's why there are two pistons for trim, and just one for tilt.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Member
    That very little go in skinny water is a timesaver...

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "Which" EFI do you have (HP and Serial Number)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor