Thread: Brisquette help

Brisquette help

Fiancé wants to smoke a brisquette for the 4th. Anyone care to share their rubs and methods? Help out a beginner. The brisquette is 11#
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

2. Banned
    What are you smoking it on? If no time to order probably go with 50/50 salt n pepper. If you can either lanes brisket rub or meat church holy cow.

3. Member
    Trim excess fat and all the hard fat.
    Rub meat the night before and place back in fridge
    If brisket isn't floppy, consider injecting.
    50% kosher salt
    50% course ground pepper
    I smoke a little hotter than most at 275. For beef I prefer oak.
    5-6 hours in smoke
    wrap in plain butcher paper and back on the pit
    start probing the thickest part of the flat at 200 degrees every 30 minutes
    pull once probe goes in with no resistance. Usually around 203 degrees. Think of pushing the probe in room temp butter
    let brisket rest about an hour before slicing
    if timing is to eat is too early, let it rest about 30 minutes and wrap it up and put it ice chest until time to eat. I usually put towels in the dryer to heat them up and place them below the brisket and above the brisket in the cooler.
    Don't buy cheap bbq sauce. I like to make my own.

It's floppy for sure. I don't have access to oak, I was going to go with mesquite but I also have pecan and hickory. I'm using an electric smoker.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

5. Banned
    Electronic smoker....you might be adding a lot of wood. Not sure how E smokers work but I would choose pecan in that. Maybe a little hickory. Not sure if you have to have a water pan or not. Find out though. Wrap with beef broth possibly? Research it..You should buy a BGE

Allow plenty of time. Minimum of 1 hr/lb. 275° is higher than I do it but it'll work. You go by internal temps, but too high of cooking heat won't break down all the stuff that makes it tough. The stall is actually a good thing. I usually run mine up to 195° IT. If you get done early, no worries. Wrap it in foil, wrap that in towels, stuff in a cooler until serving time. Cut it against the grain.

Any of those woods are good. In my electric I add chips every hour for the first 4-6.

I use a water pan.

For a rub I just smear some yellow mustard as a glue to hold coarse cracked black pepper. The mustard isn't necessary but it makes me feel good. You don't taste it anyway.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 06-30-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    I'm using an electric smoker.
    I have a Bradley and like to use Mesquite.. I set mine to 220 and smoke for 4-5 hours. After that it goes into a alum pan with a little apple juice.. cover and finish in oven till internal temp is about 205.. after this it gets FTC for a few hours.. as for a rub.. I like to use a spicy rub of some kind.. I put it on thick.. then before I FTC it will recover it with a sweet rub of some kind..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOTXRG View Post
    Trim excess fat and all the hard fat.
    Rub meat the night before and place back in fridge
    If brisket isn't floppy, consider injecting.
    50% kosher salt
    50% course ground pepper
    I smoke a little hotter than most at 275. For beef I prefer oak.
    5-6 hours in smoke
    wrap in plain butcher paper and back on the pit
    start probing the thickest part of the flat at 200 degrees every 30 minutes
    pull once probe goes in with no resistance. Usually around 203 degrees. Think of pushing the probe in room temp butter
    let brisket rest about an hour before slicing
    if timing is to eat is too early, let it rest about 30 minutes and wrap it up and put it ice chest until time to eat. I usually put towels in the dryer to heat them up and place them below the brisket and above the brisket in the cooler.
    Don't buy cheap bbq sauce. I like to make my own.
    I agree with most of this, but I never let a brisket sit overnight covered in salt. Salt will dry it out. I pull mine out of the fridge and rub and then leave it out to warm up to room temperature before throwing it on the smoker.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chunk View Post
    I agree with most of this, but I never let a brisket sit overnight covered in salt. Salt will dry it out. I pull mine out of the fridge and rub and then leave it out to warm up to room temperature before throwing it on the smoker.
    I agree completely, I cook about 170 lbs a week. Wash, trim, rub and toss on the smoker.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I did the brisket a little different on some late advice of my former boss, he wont be on this site so I'll share his recipe.
    Trim and score fat first
    2 gallon zip lock bag
    1 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup woostershire
    a lot of pepper (I added a little salt but he said not to)
    some garlic powder
    mix all in bag toss in brisket mash around and place in fridge.
    toss around a few more times and leave over night, set brisket out a couple hours before it smokes.
    pour the smoke to it early and often, once meat reaches 185-190 cut the heat back to maintain that temp for 4 hours.
    Take off smoker and tent for an hour.
    Everyone raved over this meat, it was really good and tender.

I'm going to try a more traditional rub next time as suggested above.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898