Please help my ignorance...

To fill you in a little bit, I run a Helix 10si at the console and Helix 9si on bow. I know my units should have better images than what I'm graphing. I'm am having the hardest dag on time adjusting the settings to get good clear down scan and side scan while graphing. It works, but I just feel with a little help, it can be more clear. I've read the owners manual and youtubed different ways to set your graph up and I guess I'm just confusing myself at this point. I'm no expert with graphing which is why every time out I try to do as much as I can to get better, but I feel the right settings will help tremendously. I usually run down scan and gps up front while fishing and when I'm at the console I'll run down scan and side scan graphing. Any pointers to help a rookie out? If there's somewhere these questions have already been answered I apologize. Just a average angler trying to better myself with my graphs
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

Three simple things.

Chart speed that matches the GPS speed
    Imaging Sensitivity low enough that fish are not washed out against a bright bottom. Consider the Sensitivity setting as a screen brightness control.
    A SI range that makes sense for the size of fish you are seeking, typically three times the depth for fish and more detail. Any longer ranges for general searching for big stuff like points, channels, man made structures like bridges.

You need to see the effect of the settings so you are familiar with what they do. You learn that by pushing the 4-way button to pause the screen scrolling when you see something interesting, then do the setting changes to see what the effect is and then make that view the best you can--push EXIT after that. Do that often enough so you will recognize if any adjustments need to be made due to depth or bottom hardness.

Doug has suggested settings here, but those are where to start:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Try Max mode, and crank sensitivity up until there is too much clutter, then back sens down a bit. Then turn Clear mode on and do the same. Use contrast to get a good range of brightness on the screen. Keep playing with it, different water conditions require different settings.

Are these the G1 units? If you posted some images we could make suggestion on how to improve them. Without knowing what you are seeing it's kind of a crap shoot making recommendations.
    There is a starting setup for the G1 units floating around, I'll see if I can find it.....Never mind, Wayne already posted it.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

5. Banned
    I'm no expert but I learned more about my scans when I analyzed them at home on the computer after a day out. Give it a try.

Also, it has been mentioned that your units need tweaking every time you go out. One setting won't work all the time.

I think this suggestion by Wayne is the best way to learn how to improve the image with the setting

"You need to see the effect of the settings so you are familiar with what they do. You learn that by pushing the 4-way button to pause the screen scrolling when you see something interesting, then do the setting changes to see what the effect is and then make that view the best you can--push EXIT after that. Do that often enough so you will recognize if any adjustments need to be made due to depth or bottom hardness."

Stop the screen .... change settings and color pallet.

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

7. Member
    Thanks for all the help fellas. I already took my boat back to storage. Next time I get it I'm going to adjust the settings to get me started and adjust accordingly like stated above. This also might be a dumb question but I have to ask. Does anybody offer a trip on the water with your own setup to show different tips and techniques to find fish? I'd like to pay someone to show me with my setup to help understand the differences in different settings and environments
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

8. Member
    One thing that seemed to help the quality of my images was making sure my transducer was level when the boat was in the water. I leveled it with the bottom of the boat for years and I was never very satisfied with the quality of the images but I'm pretty happy with my images now.

Just something else to consider

9. Member
    I ended up using color number three. The reddish orange colored one. Sensitivity down to 2 and contrast up to 14 or so.max mode on. I can see fish now out to the sides, not just in the water column.but as said, you do have to keep tuning on it as conditions change.