Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Accidentally bought off-road diesel

I was low on fuel so I stopped a local gas station this morning and I haven't been there since some Indians took over. Well apparently they installed a new diesel pump with the regular gas pumps and I didn't realize it. I pulled up to the pump on the side went in and pre paid and about $30 in I realized they wrote off-road on it with a sharpie. Oops.

2. Member
    Don't worry about it... Have run off road for 17 years and never been questioned
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

It doesn't work very well in a gasoline powered truck.
    "Do not believe everything you read or see on the internet" -- Abraham Lincoln.

My buddy pulled his Chevelle up to the 110 octane race gas pump and filled it up as he did everytime. Went in to pay and the clerk gave him a rash of crap as it isn't for road use. My buddy just looked at her and said "I'll take my chances".

Quote Originally Posted by markheb View Post
    It doesn't work very well in a gasoline powered truck.
    Good thing I have a diesel.

6. Member
    Its a felony here if you have over 20 gallons. I got checked twice in the few years i had a power stroke

Isn't it just taxed differently ?? I have yet to have a state trooper check my fuel for its tax stamp lol

8. Member
    Its dyed red vs green and taxed less. Here occasionally the HWY patrol stops by the sale barns and checks the farmers trucks and writes citations if found. Ive had a couple of friends caught, the say the amount they saved in taxes over the years easily covered the citation.

Speaking of Indians and gas stations,,,,,,, the BP gas station was bought by an Indian and he changed the colors on the pump handles. Every station within 100 miles of here uses green handles on the diesel, black handles on unleaded gas. This clown flip flopped them, his black handles are now diesel, the green are unleaded gas. I'm sure it's going to cause someone problems.

10. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    They usually just check the farmers. I know a few who were caught.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

11. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    if you see someone driving down the road and their exhaust has a green or red tint to it this is why...last person I saw caught was running fuel oil from their furnace.

12. Member
    It can be up to s $10,000.00 fine. I pump off-road everyday & the I r s has came into our lot & checked for off road use in our trucks. It's illegal to run it in anything designed to have a liscence platewether listened or not.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Don't worry about it... Have run off road for 17 years and never been questioned
    Thanks for paying your fair share of road maintenance

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I've seen them testing diesel trucks leaving farm shows and other events here. They can detect the dye for several tanks of un-dyed after you run the off-road. Fines are serious business and they don't give a warning. Hammer drops on the first offense.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    if you see someone driving down the road and their exhaust has a green or red tint to it this is why...last person I saw caught was running fuel oil from their furnace.
    So you're saying if you're gonna cheat, don't be rolling coal around the cops?

I have stopped running off road in my lawn equipment also. If I was running large logging equipment or such I would reconsider. But for the small amount I purchase the savings isn't worth it. Around here they sell so little of it that they don't turn their supply over enough and it gets contaminated.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtrimmer View Post
    Thanks for paying your fair share of road maintenance
    Oh don't you worry your little heart. I pay my fair share (and probably yours) of road maintenance.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

18. Member
    Al Gore is gonna pay you a visit sir! Lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    I have stopped running off road in my lawn equipment also. If I was running large logging equipment or such I would reconsider. But for the small amount I purchase the savings isn't worth it. Around here they sell so little of it that they don't turn their supply over enough and it gets contaminated.
    The fact that it may have been there a while and be contaminated would also be my hesitation with pumping and running it

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Isn't it just taxed differently ?? I have yet to have a state trooper check my fuel for its tax stamp lol
    This is correct. No difference at all other than one is taxed and the other isn't. "Highway tax" is added to the on-road stuff.........since off-road diesel isn't used on the the highway, the highway tax isn't applied to it.

They add pink dye to off-road diesel to differentiate between the two. Highway patrol does sometimes carry white sticks to stick your tank to see if it's pink, they did a bunch of that at the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville one year and wrote a lot of tickets to farm guys using pink diesel in their trucks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast