Thread: How long

How long

How long after your boat has been in the possession of the mechanic should you expect contact from mechanic with a diagnosis and game plan for repair? 1 week, 2 weeks.. more? What is a reasonable amount of time. I am asking so I can be very fair about giving them time, it is a busy season.

2. Member
    That's going to depend on the dealership and how big a service department he has. One of our local dealers said he was about 3 weeks behind when my neighbor ask about having work done about a month ago.

3. Member
    I'm wondering the same thing. Took boat to mechanic on May 16 for new electronics which I provided and needed new water pump and impeller. They told me 3 weeks after a month I called got the run around that was two weeks ago. Called today was told they are waiting on a cable before they can start I'm going to pickup tomorrow and wait till winter and take to a different mechanic.

4. Member
    Most shops run 2 or more weeks behind this time of year. Things get kind of crazy at those places in the spring and summer.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    At present, we're 2 weeks waiting list just to get IN the parking lot, then approximately 2 weeks from dropoff.

That being said, most decent facilities will give you a good-faith "guesstimate" as to when they might be getting to it, and make a reasonable attempt to keep you apprised of the situation once work has begun.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor