Thread: Boat Dilemma

Boat Dilemma

Hey Guys,

I need some worldly advice since i am somewhat young (only been in the real world for 2 years). I am looking at buying an aluminum rig with a budget of 5500. I have found some potential ones. However I saw a 19ft Triton with a 90 asking 8000. I am very tempted to get the Triton. This is quite a bit of money for me. I am not sure it is the wisest financial decision. Financially i think I am pretty well off but i kinda wanna stay that way (and retire in my 50s). BUT DAM, i long for a nice boat!!! Should i suck it up and get the 19 ft. I've found (what i think) is a decent deal on a 17ft alumium bass style boat with a good motor (90 hp).

Any comments or thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by kylelp View Post
    Hey Guys,

I need some worldly advice since i am somewhat young (only been in the real world for 2 years). I am looking at buying an aluminum rig with a budget of 5500. I have found some potential ones. However I saw a 19ft Triton with a 90 asking 8000. I am very tempted to get the Triton. This is quite a bit of money for me. I am not sure it is the wisest financial decision. Financially i think I am pretty well off but i kinda wanna stay that way (and retire in my 50s). BUT DAM, i long for a nice boat!!! Should i suck it up and get the 19 ft. I've found (what i think) is a decent deal on a 17ft alumium bass style boat with a good motor (90 hp).

Any comments or thoughts?
    Only you can make that decision when it comes to finances. However, do your research and buy the biggest boat you can afford.

3. Member
    Good advice so far.

Metal or plastic, for someone on a limited budget, be very certain that you have the motor and boat checked out. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

As someone who was in the same position as you, at 22 years old. Just keep saving until next spring. That is what I did and was able to get the boat that I want. Its already almost July so prime fishing time has come and gone. As stated before, buy the biggest boat you can afford. I never wish that I went with a smaller rig.
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

5. Member
    Hey I was in yr shoes not very long ago. I also bought a triton first, but at 28 I saved enough in my fun money account to pay 14 cash for it. It was more boat (talons, I-pilot link ect) than I'm willing to maintain. $$$. I'm back into looking at aluminum and yaks. Consider spending most of yr money on quality trailers, motor and electronics.. the hull is where u can save money.. ie. Pt165,175 etc. Don't overlook yaks.. I fish the same river all year. 1 sunday in a yak and I will put a hurtin on ALOT of guys in big money boats.. just make sure u have fun along the way. That's the reel point..

6. Member
    You only live once

7. Member
    I wanted a boat bad when I was 22 and was willing to go in to debt for it, BUT I kept saying wait a little longer, save more money. Luckily, I have a lot of friends with boats who took me whenever I wanted. At 29, after saving and getting a promotion or 2 I bought my first boat and paid it off a year later. At 32, I totaled it on KY lake, insurance gave me a big and a few months later I bought a brand new RT188. Basically, just don't rush into it. Boats can be a real pain in the a$$. Also, try to join a club as a non boater you will get to fish a lot, and it will only cost you a little gas money until you can afford what you want.

8. Banned
    I've been on my own since 17. Bought my first boat at 28 for $3K. Boat was 10 years old and I quickly learned that owning a boat was an expensive luxury. So much to the point that I couldn't afford to go out more than a couple times a month. Maintenance, repairs, ramp fees, gas, etc all adds up. Now, my son has 2 buddies in their late 20's who both own boats. The both have decent jobs, but more importantly, they both still live at home. It's much easier to afford a boat when real life doesn't get in the way. One of the boats has just blown its second power head in 4 years. My advice is to ask questions and make an educated decision whether or not you can really afford the boat. If it turns out you can afford it, do your due diligence in making sure the boat you decide on is in good shape mechanically. It will save you a lot of money in the long run.

9. Member
    I have a problem with buy the most boat you can afford. I think i make decent money and could afford a (what i would call) really nice boat, but i feel this is a waste of money. My budget was at 5500 for a 16 to 17 ft aluminum boat. I know buying that boat wouldn't be a boat that I would want long term. At the moment I don't have any kids but will in the future but when i have them, everything will go to them. People at work told me to get the boat you want now cause when i have kids I won't wanna spend the money on a boat. Buying the triton would be getting a boat that I want and wouldn't want a new boat for a long time (assuming the boat last along time). I don't think i would ever spend 14k on a boat.

10. Member
    Judging from what you're saying that you want a boat that is going to last a long time and one you could eventually take your little ones on...
    If you can get the slightly larger boat without going into debt do it.
    Once you have kids/wife/whatever all your expendable income goes out the window. That 18ft triton SHOULD last many many many more years (how many 20+ year aluminum boats do you see vs glass?) and if you go that route just keep the hull and keep re-power it when that time comes.
    04' Nitro NX882DC
    150 Merc XR6 21P Trophy
    12' Talon
    LMS- 552C & Hook 9 Bow - Elite 5 Stern

Only you can decide what is a waste of money or not. But, IMO if you under-purchase to much you'll end up with something you don't really want and then get rid of it quickly and lose money on the deal. Spending a little more for a boat you'll be happier with an keep longer might be a better long term financial decision.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

12. Member
    I told myself 2 years ago after i bought an old jon boat, that my next boat would have to last me a long long time. Everyone always says buy the best boat you can afford, buy the biggest engine you can get etc. Judging by that, I should by the boat that i think will last me for along time.

13. Member
    real quick, 2004 alumacraft mv 1860 spl cc with 2005 75 hp evinrude for 6700 has 55lb tm, some batteries, a garmin ff and cp at console and 4s dsi at front.