Temperature sensor switch / alarm horn.

Newbie here. I have recently acquired a 87 Stratos with an 87 Evinrude 140 VRO / V4 installed on it. It was not the original engine. I think it came with a Suzuki 150, per the registration I was given. Anyway, the warning alarm does not sound when the key is turned on. (OMC remote). Following some of the suggestions on other posts, I attempted to disconnect the temperature sensor in both heads. The problem is they seem to be fusible links not connectors. I tried to short the wire out with a test light (short to ground), but instead the test light lit up. Is there suppose to be 12v power going to these temperatures sensors? I was assuming they were negative short to ground switches. All the parts online show it to be a quick connect. Can someone confirm that there is supposed to power to these temperature sensor switches. They are single orange or tan wires.

Model # E140TLCUA (per freeze plug on engine block).

Thanks in advance

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The alarm will not sound when the key is turned on in that model year. That didn't come out until about 1989. The connections aren't fusible links that is just a tubing that covers the connection much like shrink tubing. If you pull on one of the tabs it will come off the connection. Yes there is 12V going to them. To test ground the engine side of the harness' brown wire with the key on to sound the alarm.

3. Member
    Thank You.