Hours on units. Why does it matter

Guys, something that iv never ever understood is why when an individual is selling a unit, people ask for the number of hours on the unit and it determines whether they buy it or not.

So, why do hours matter. Humminbird specifically even says the amount of hours on each unit are insignificant to the units performance.

To me, this is like me trying to sell my t.v. but someone first wants to know the hours on it because if it has high hours it's probably not going to work right?? No!

Curious to hear the opinions to this matter!

Quote Originally Posted by birdman11 View Post
    Guys, something that iv never ever understood is why when an individual is selling a unit, people ask for the number of hours on the unit and it determines whether they buy it or not.

So, why do hours matter. Humminbird specifically even says the amount of hours on each unit are insignificant to the units performance.

To me, this is like me trying to sell my t.v. but someone first wants to know the hours on it because if it has high hours it's probably not going to work right?? No!

Curious to hear the opinions to this matter!
    It is sort of like buying a truck/car, you want to know what the mileage is. It may breakdown the day after purchase or last 10+ years.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Another way to look at it is if you have a choice between two of the same model, one with 500 hours and one with 5000 hours. Which one would you choose?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Banned
    electronics do wear out. more hours=perhaps a higher chance something will go soon