Thread: Colonoscopy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Good to hear the 1 gal jug of powder mix is no longer used. Maybe I'll go back, it's about time. My wife and had ours done at the same time, we started our gallon of water at the same time while we worked on computers side by side. It would have made a funny video. Man once that stuff starts working, there's no time to play on computer.

I have had six of them, starting at the age of 21..every 5 years. One more at the 5 year interval then we go to three year intervals. As stated the prep has come a looooooooong ways. The Dr. I am using now just uses pills, no drinking any liquid other than plenty of water. I remember the early days of drinking the equivalent of battery acid. Colon cancer is a very slow growing cancer...get a dang colonoscopy.

To the op...praying for good news on your results.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

3. Member
    Just got back from my annual checkup today. I'm 58, had the procedure when I was 51. Since there were two polyps then but nothing to be concerned about they said do it in another five years. I waited a bit longer but today took home the kit to take samples and mail it back to the doc office for analysis. Doc said it's 93.8% accurate vs traditional method at 98%. Since I have no history, I took the take home kit vs the normal procedure.

4. Member
    Had my first one at 46 due to family history. Found a couple of polyps so on the 5 year plan. The prep is getting better, but still not fun. Btw, if you've never gone through the prep, find someone with a waterjet cutter and watch it operate. This will be you later!
    2009 G3 Eagle 180 / 2009 Yamaha F115 / Minn Kota Maxxum 80 / Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N on Bow & Console

I was told every 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by bnewman046 View Post
    Had my first one at 46 due to family history. Found a couple of polyps so on the 5 year plan. The prep is getting better, but still not fun. Btw, if you've never gone through the prep, find someone with a waterjet cutter and watch it operate. This will be you later!
    Amen brother. I felt like a human water-jet. Wet-wipes are a must!

2009 LEGEND ALPHA 211/MERCURY 250 PRO XS

7. Member
    I've still got 2 more years until my first. Doc reminds me everytime I go for a checkup. If you have polyps removed, are there any recovery time issues? The whole not knowing thing scares thehell out of me. To the OP, I hope for the best for you.

I've had three of them. No problems at all until the last one and I had a bad reaction to the laxative and the sedative. Was throwing up before I even made it to the hospital and then had the worst headache ever afterwards. Really not looking forward to doing it again.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Had them done since I was 21 and out of the Navy. Had upper and lower GI issues, prep wasnt fun..and neither was waking up during the procedure either. Least they explained what they were doing and showed the screen. Leaving Cleveland Clinic and anestesia wearing off made me puke but thats really it.
    Www.thkustoms.com

"Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!"-Theodore Roosevelt
    USN 2002-2008
    NAS Whidbey Island
    USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom

10. Member
    GET IT DONE WHEN YOU SHOULD.
    My wife waited until she was 55 years old to have her first one done because she dreaded the prep and the thought of it. When she finally got it done they found a cancerous polyp and removed it. She also had surgery to remove a section of the colon around the polyp just to be sure they got everything.
    On her 3 year checkup they found a tumor on the outside of the colon and it had spread to her female organs. After pre op radiation and chemotherapy and major surgery she was on a bag for 8 months. She had more chemotherapy after surgery that made her deathly sick. A year ago she had surgery again to reconnect her colon to her small intestine and is back to as normal as she'll ever be. Thank God she's doing well now but she's been through a lot in the past 3 years.
    Most polyps exist in the colon for a long time before they become cancerous and if found early are not a problem. This is why colonoscopies are so important. It's so easy to think "It won't happen to me".

Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    I was told every 10 years
    It was always recommended every 10 years after 50. Well, the butt Docs were only able to afford a Cadillac on that schedule and they longed to drive a Benz like their surgeon colleagues. So, now it's every 5 years so they can afford more prestigious transportation.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Member
    Had my first 4 years ago while the dr tried to figure out if i had Krohn's Disease or not. They told me I could drink the gallon jug, or start a dose of miralax in gatorade 48 hours in advance, taking a dose every 2 hours, and no solid foods after the first dose. Only clear or yellow liquids. I joked about the "events" that first day. The 2nd day I wanted to run water over my behind to sooth the burning. Two days of chicken broth and gatorade drove me nuts as well. Immediately after it was over and I was being driven home I had my dad stop by Hardee's for a burger. My wife had just got home on her lunch break when I walked in the door letting a good 20 second long burst of air rip out with me and my dad both laughing and her not to thrilled.

Turned 50 this year, never had one. Is 50 the magic age to have the first if no heredity?

14. Member
    Good advice! I have them every 10 years per the doctor and have one coming up next year. It is good to hear it's getting a little easier with the prep.

I had one done in September of 2015 to find a reason for a pain in my left side. 2 polyps non cancerous and a cancerous tumor that was causing that pain. On 9/11/15 I had colon resection and 22 lymph nodes were showing clear so 5 days in hospital and home I go. Surgeon said all clear but the wife and I wanted a Oncologist to determine that so we watched my blood tumor marker numbers for a month and had a PET scan and it had metastasized to my liver and a lung. Feb 2015 I started chemo on a 12 treatment by-weekly plan that was brutal and caused me to retire from IBEW after 26 years. My blood numbers reduced to normal levels after the first 5 treatments and I was reduced to a maintenance dose at that point so next Monday will be my 35th round of chemo and I'm still hanging in there. Having cancer and retiring at the age of 49 weren't in my plans but life has been known to throw a curve ball here and there so make sure you take the time to have it done, it could save your life.
    Last edited by mark-o; 06-29-2017 at 05:09 AM.

Mark Welch Bossier Parish,LA. "Sportsman's Paradise"
    Check out my FB page https://www.facebook.com/Altered-IRO...4017377675928/
    '90 PROCroft 180, Mercury 150 xr4
    '03 WaterMoccasin pirogue 54lb. MotorGuide

Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    Turned 50 this year, never had one. Is 50 the magic age to have the first if no heredity?
    Yes 50 is the magic age
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

17. Member
    It probably helps to have a few drinks before being probed !

18. Member
    Just had my first one a few weeks back. Prep wasn't exactly fun but wasn't horrible. 4 Dulcolax and then 8 oz of Miralax powder in 64 oz of Gatorade. Miralax had no taste at all. Procedure lasted about 30 minutes and I was only under for around an hour. No anesthesia hangover at all. 2 polyps that were benign.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    I have a good friend that had a bloody stool and went to the Dr to get checked out. He had stage 4 rectal cancer, he was 41 years old. After that, I decided not to wait until I turned 50... I was okay and now have piece of mind, my buddy has been doing cancer treatments for over a year and is starting to get better finally. No need to wait until you're 50 since the earlier things are detected, the sooner they can treat any problems. By the way, the buddy... he was a triathlon competitor and was in incredible physical condition, eating only the best foods with training etc. His family doesn't have any history of cancer... ya just never know.

20. Member
    I started at 40 since I have a blood relative that is a colon cancer survivor. Got the notice to schedule my 4th one in the mail last week. Not the most fun I've ever had, but like the prostate exam, a necessary procedure.
    Lowe Stinger 18HP
    Optimax 115 ProXS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast