Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar

Question Who has a Henry 45-70?

I started looking at the .22 Henry lever action Carbine w/16" barrel. One thing led to another and I'm now interested in the mac daddy Henry 45-70. Anyone got one and open to sharing the good, bad, and ugly?

thanks!
    Duane

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

2. Member
    My father had a golden boy in a 45 long colt. He has since passed, and it now sits in my safe. It is a fine gun, but I cant bring myself to shoot it much.

My buddy has a Marlin in 45-70. Thing kicks like crazy and is about a dollar and 2 quarters each time you shoot it lol
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

4. Banned
    The Henry's are especially beautiful rifles, but I think I'd be looking for a caliber that's less expensive to buy bullets for. Availability of ammo is another issue.

Got a Marlin, the recoil is not bad and I reload. Did buy some factory ammo from a guy for $15/box. Sorry, I don't have any info on a Henry. They make for a good pig rifle.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    My father had a golden boy in a 45 long colt. He has since passed, and it now sits in my safe. It is a fine gun, but I cant bring myself to shoot it much.
    He also had a New England Firearms break action single shot in a 45-70. I had no use for that thing. It kicked like a mule with his hand loads. Ammo is not to hard to find around here for a 45-70.

7. Member
    Curious....this is one caliber I've never shot, does it kick more that a 12 ga. pump shooting slugs?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IBILTIT View Post
    Curious....this is one caliber I've never shot, does it kick more that a 12 ga. pump shooting slugs?
    No. It can be a pussycat with cowboy loads. However a souped up handload in a 7 pound ruger number 1 will recoil as bad as anything around.

9. Member
    AHHHHH, a Ruger #1, one of my favorite rifles. A buddy of mine has 2 of them, one is a .243 and the other a .300 Win mag. I will admit the .300 does kick a bit but they are both beautiful guns.

10. Member
    Got the marlin in 444. Had to put a limb savery pad on it now it's nothing to shoot