Thread: Pork Loin

Pork Loin

Hey Guys, I've got a 5.5lb boneless pork loin I'd like to do on the BBQ. Nothing fancy here, just a natural gas grill but I'm not sure about cooking times and grill temps. Should I be doing an low and slow with indirect heat or more traditional sear first and reduce heat? I'd also like suggestions on a good pork marinade too!! Thanks!!!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Low heat and don't over cook. 145 degrees is done and 146 is on its way to leather.

Brine it overnight, rinse, pat dry and rub with something without much salt. Marinades and injections don't work too well on loin because the meat is fairly dense.

Did I mention not over cooking it?

If you don't have a thermometer, either get one or slice it and cook as chops.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Banned
    Pull off before 145 so you don't ruin it! Let the carry over bring it to mid 140s

4. Member
    I've got a digital thermometer so I'll watch the temp closely. What do you recommend for a brine?

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grimsbylander View Post
    I've got a digital thermometer so I'll watch the temp closely. What do you recommend for a brine?
    Just about any brine recipe will work. I usually start with 3/4 cup kosher salt, 3/4 cup sugar, a cup of boiling water and a gallon of cold water. Might need to increase quantities to cover the meat. Dissolve the salt and sugar in the boiling water, then add the rest of the water and chill the brine. Soak the pork at least overnight in the refrigerator once the brine is cold. Rinse well.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    I like wrapping with bacon and cook with slowly to around 138-140 like Cliff said. Very fine line between perfect and leather with a loin
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

Been buying and cooking these pork loins as long as I've been grilling. My buddy in college introduced them to me. He would slice 1" thick and marinate overnight in Italian dressing. Always turned out well.
    Now, I just slice them, season with Greek seasoning, and grill them at 300-325 on my Phoenix grill. I think I would have to try to ruin them on that grill. Everything seems to turn out really well. It's like a Holland grill, but with being able to adjust temperature.

I need to try some pork chops on the Vision Egg sometime. Really liked the Royal Oak charcoal I picked up at Clif's recommendation last sale. So thanks for that tip, Clif!

8. GROWING OLD WITH GRACE DA TOAD's Avatar
    145*
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

"Let's raise up our glasses against evil forces......Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses" - Toby Keith

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    Been buying and cooking these pork loins as long as I've been grilling. My buddy in college introduced them to me. He would slice 1" thick and marinate overnight in Italian dressing. Always turned out well.
    Now, I just slice them, season with Greek seasoning, and grill them at 300-325 on my Phoenix grill. I think I would have to try to ruin them on that grill. Everything seems to turn out really well. It's like a Holland grill, but with being able to adjust temperature.

I need to try some pork chops on the Vision Egg sometime. Really liked the Royal Oak charcoal I picked up at Clif's recommendation last sale. So thanks for that tip, Clif!

10. Member
    I have had good luck with Mojo.. or like Clif...Italian dressing...always off the egg at 135 140 and let stand just for a bit...when I had a gas grill (before entering egg paradise) i use to go for indirect cooking at a decent temp around 275...and actually had some really nice grilled tenderloin with the direct grill method at 350 for a short period of time and then with less heat..kind of depends upon the thickness for me in deciding how to carry out the cooking...and on the egg too that way. I do not prefer brine...I mostly use smoked paprika sea salt and crushed pepper. I also like to add fresh cut wood in small quantity to the coals just before I put the meat on, particularly fresh (not shipped to a store) pecan wood. Enjoy!