Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replacing seal on Seastar HC5345?

I have a small leak on the ports side of my Seastar HC5345 that I need to address. It looks like I need the HS5157 and HS5167 kit along with fluid correct?

1. How hard of a job is it to do yourself?
    2. Where's the best/cheapest place to buy the materials?
    3. How much fluid should I buy?

The rods are smooth with no pitting so they're good. Any tips on the process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Member
    not hard will need two people to bleed, buy the kit online, it will come with everything you need

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KB Tackle View Post
    not hard will need two people to bleed, buy the kit online, it will come with everything you need
    I ordered the kit that comes with the wrench and 32oz of fluid, that should be enough fluid to purge the system right?

4. Member
    You can bleed it with one person. I did mine.

5. Member
    -two seals and two wipers,you can get them all from a hydraulic supply house for about half what the sea-star kit cost,they got spanner wrenchs too if you dont have the means to fab one up.
    -you can bleed the system alone if you open the bleeders one at a time.connect a piece of hose to the bleeder,put the other in a clear bottle with a little fluid in,work the helm on each bleeder until you see no more bubbles.you will need to add fluid to the helm as you push it out at the ram,i use a small hand pump with a short length of tube from a quart bottle.

6. Member
    hopefully your seals aren't to tight, mine wouldn't budge, don't know if I need to bleed pressure off of it first.

7. Member
    Do a search there is a lot of previous posts about this. There is also a couple of youtube videos. Seastar or teleflex has a pdf wanting people to bleed there way. I did it there way and would recomend you do the same.

8. Member
    It's not a hard job, a little messy but not hard. If it's an older system I would bleed out all the old fluid with new fluid. This is how I did mine and it worked great when I was done. Take the quart and put it on the fill hose and deal on the dash and hang it so it will fill as fluid is used or get someone to hold it. Let the air bubbles bleed out if the quart hose so no more are going in the system. Go to the back and open a bleeder on one side. Turn the wheel that way and it will squirt all the old fluid out and pull in the new from the quart. When you see clean fluid without air coming thru shut that side and then do the next. Watch the quart and make sure you don't run out of fluid. When you get both sides bled real good I did it a couple times like seastar says in their book. Of course you do that after you replace the seals

9. Member
    Will a quart be enough or should I order more?

10. Member
    If you are going to replace the fluid the manual says 2 qts.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 518RangerJeff View Post
    If you are going to replace the fluid the manual says 2 qts.
    Ok I ordered another quart, the kit only came with one.

DO NOT get it on your carpet

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    DO NOT get it on your carpet

It is one of the best carpet cement removers that exists.

14. Member
    Easy job to do, theres a few video on youtube showing you how to do it. I bought my kit off ebay and added another quart of fluid just to make sure i had enough to bleed out the whole system with new fluid. I think i ended up using 1 1/2 quart. Forgot to mention, make sure you get the kit with the tool to loose the end caps on the seastar.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    Easy job to do, theres a few video on youtube showing you how to do it. I bought my kit off ebay and added another quart of fluid just to make sure i had enough to bleed out the whole system with new fluid. I think i ended up using 1 1/2 quart. Forgot to mention, make sure you get the kit with the tool to loose the end caps on the seastar.
    Yep, got the kit on Ebay with the tool and ordered the extra quart. I ordered the extra quart a day later from same seller and it is in transit, the kit (from same seller) has only showed label created for two days and no movement. Thanks for all the info guys! I'm pretty anxious of doing the repair, it's not a bad leak at all but it's a leak none the less. I have a Moto-Stop and my engine has a lot of play when I hit certain bumps and I believe this will stop that.

16. Member
    I would watch that youtube that's out there you need to lube those brackets on the engine mount. Also how they carefully remove the nuts that attach to the chrome sleeves because they will spin when you turn them.

17. Member
    League City, TX/Lake Sam Rayburn (Rayburn Country)
    I've done a few over the years. I would try to buy the seals third party, will save a bunch of money. I am not sure the high dollar oil is required, but I bought it anyway. I'd check with the shop that sells the seals and see what they say about fluid. I bet regular automotive power Steering fluid will work just fine, or ATF. I'd look into it before I dropped 30 bucks a quart.

When I did the seals in my old Blazer boat, I spilled it on the carpet.......crap don't come out. I needed to replace the carpet anyway.

18. Member
    I got the kit today even though the tracking says it hasn't left the seller, the second quart should arrive tomorrow. Now I'll have something to do on the 4th while the lakes are busy!

19. Member
    Our local lake lice doesn't show up until
    10 or 11. I'm usually ready to leave around then.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 518RangerJeff View Post
    Our local lake lice doesn't show up until
    10 or 11. I'm usually ready to leave around then.
    I'm fishing Saturday, Sunday, and working Monday so I'll fix it while the smoker is going Tuesday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast