Mercury Mechanic Recommendations

I guess the motor go too wet in the rain yesterday. I noticed that it wasn't turning over as it should. Yesterday it was the same deal but after I sat under the canopy at Waldens while the storm paste she was really hard then at the ramp she just quit.

Turns over, can hear air compressor and Fuel pump. Battery was at 12.6amp, checked Kill switch all seems ok there. Checked 6 fuses on right side of engine, I haven't checked the relay as of yet but thats my next step before I decide its fate. The boat is up on 830 if anything is up that way. Thanks

2. Banned
    Texas boat world in Killeen can fix it.

3. Member
    Might just be wet, as you say. That happened all of the time with the old junker cars that we used as kids. After they dried out, you wouldn't have known anything was wrong. We finally started either replacing the old, cracked wires or at least spraying them with something. I imagine silicone would be used today.

4. Member
    I've been using K&J Marine on 2920 in Spring, good Merc guy. Or you have Capt Kirks there in the Woodlands.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phnx Ed View Post
    I've been using K&J Marine on 2920 in Spring, good Merc guy. Or you have Capt Kirks there in the Woodlands.
    Thanks I will look them up

6. Member
    Call Scott at Bowden Marine in Humble. Master Merc Mechanic
    2001 Champion 206, Yamaha 250 V-Max hpdi
    1997 Nitro Savage 884, Mercury150 XR6, 8" Slidemaster Jack Plate

7. Member
    closest to you will be Ron Hoover in Willis, Then the guy on 105. The next is Capt, Kirk's in the Woodlands which is a good choice. The others listed are pretty far from you.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToledoBendChamp View Post
    closest to you will be Ron Hoover in Willis, Then the guy on 105. The next is Capt, Kirk's in the Woodlands which is a good choice. The others listed are pretty far from you.
    Even if I moved to Alaska I'd still drag my boat to Bowden's.

9. Member
    I, too, have been very happy with Bowden's, in Humble, TX.

I use Steve Wright who has taken care of a half dozen boats for me over the last twenty years. I drive by all sort of other mechanics to get to him. Worth the trip.

Finding a good mechanicn is difficult, good luck with your search. Nice name by the way, not sure if the board can handle two Chris Loves or not! Haha!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx 201 View Post
    Finding a good mechanicn is difficult, good luck with your search. Nice name by the way, not sure if the board can handle two Chris Loves or not! Haha!!
    No worries I dont plan on being here long, K&J did the work and was reasonable and fast! Nothing major just some fuel lines and a gasket. Unfortunately on the way back to the lake we lost a TIRE/RIM/HUB/Fender and well the list continues. So now I am known for the guy with the nice boat but "Hey your missing at Tire!" at the ramp guy. LOL I did enjoy the local police dept this weekend doing boat checks right on the ramp. Couldn't be more of a stupid idea! Check them at the top of the hill not on the ramp. I believe in the checking part just wrong as location!FYI
    Last edited by chris love; 07-05-2017 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Texas Humor

12. Member
    Hey Chris glad K&J hooked you up. I'm hoping he can get my lower unit replaced this week, blew it up on Friday.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

13. Member
    Captain Kirk's can take care of it. I have been doing business there for years.