Power Steering on Verado

My 2005 200 hp Verado didn't seem like it was turning as far to the left or right yesterday. Boat contol was tough in the wind because of it.

Does that mean I have air in there? (I tried turning it left and right several times at idle and didn't seem to help).

Perhaps I just need to add oil to the reservoir? If so, can someone tell me what oil is used for that?

Or maybe the pump itself is failing?

2. Member
    Checked the oil res and it's full and sealed. Turned the key in the garage and it turns a little each way (I thought maybe my Optima battery the dealer put in was too small - but that wouldn't account for it not turning under power, right?)

So I turned the engine as far as it would go and looked over the back of the boat and guess what I found? I have the LONGER engine bolts on the bottom, and the shorter one's are installed at the top!!! When I turn the wheel, the trim cylinders (if that's what they're called) hit the ends of the bolts when it travels far enough.

At first I thought I would pull the bolts and switch the tops with the bottoms. Then I thought I'd buy new shorter ones and put those in the bottom. Now, because I don't want to worry about resealing it again, I'm wondering if I could just hack off about 3/4 of an inch with a sawzall (I think grinder might heat up the nylon in the lock nut???? and I can't get a hack saw in there).
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    I would think you should be able to cut the bolt without damaging the nut just take your time and dont overheat it, if you go through the effort to remove the bolt replace it with new, reseal, and have the bolt head outside the boat.

4. Member
    I cut them with a Sawzall. Did a little on each side a little at a time. Seems good. Not gonna mess with the bolts anymore at this time. I'll keep a very close eye on them tho