Thread: Harmless weed

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    This type of incident happens on a daily basis all around the Country in our Prisons and Jails, this is not an isolated incident. Weed is on par with alcohol as the root cause in these incidents, one is not king over the other. If weed were legal this would not have happened but it happens as much with alcohol as weed. Many first time offenders with alcohol are placed in similar circumstances and assaulted daily. If you take jail or prison time out of the equation for both then you eliminate this problem. The hard part is where do you draw the line, 1st 2nd or 3rd liquor offense, 25 lbs, 50 lbs, or 100 lbs for weed. The bottom line, in this incident was the residual effect may cost this young man his life. In this case the weed was the reason he was in jail and therefore the cause of his demise so for those who say weed has no ill effects I submit that you are wrong.
    Yeah but if weed was legal would he have gone to jail?

Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Anyone who thinks "weed" isn't as dangerous as alcohol is either burnt out or just plain ignorant.
    I've never heard of anyone od on weed but it happens everyday with alcohol. Sure smoking it can cause long term effects like anything else you would smoke. Way more bad side effects with alcohol.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    You understand that arguing that alcohol is more dangerous that pot is an argument for making alcohol illegal, not for making pot legal, don't you?

If you are in the "legalize pot" camp, you need a better plan, and to be better able to articulate why it should be. That is all my comment addressed.

Not being able to make sense of my post is a problem on your end, not mine.
    Why do you approach this from the point of making anything that an adult chooses to do should or even COULD be illegal? That which neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg I give zero $#!7$ about. Nor should anyone else that values and holds dear the freedoms the founders of this nation intended for its people.

I'm not in the camp of legalizing anything, I'm in the camp that EVERYTHING that doesn't directly harm another person is already legal and the government is ILLEGALLY and UNCONSTITUTIONALLY infringing upon the right of adult humans to decide what they ingest and how much.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo_stiglitz View Post
    Legal sycophants nod their head in full agreement with you, foolishly. He didn't harm himself, men used the power of words on paper to justify stuffing someone in jail where he was harmed by another inmate. His offense was not deserving of either of the wrongs done to him.
    Really? He made a choice to carry around 65 lbs of an illegal substance, that's a pretty blatant violation of the law, I have no pity for him. I guess next you'll tell me that a man in jail for poaching isn't deserving of his punishment either, because "the power of words" put him in there?

Follow the law, stay out of jail. Simple as that. Doesn't matter what your opinion of the law is, if you break it you face the consequences.

Why do you approach this from the point of making anything that an adult chooses to do should or even COULD be illegal? That which neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg I give zero $#!7$ about. Nor should anyone else that values and holds dear the freedoms the founders of this nation intended for its people.

I'm not in the camp of legalizing anything, I'm in the camp that EVERYTHING that doesn't directly harm another person is already legal and the government is ILLEGALLY and UNCONSTITUTIONALLY infringing upon the right of adult humans to decide what they ingest and how much.
    Then stop making the argument that alcohol should be illegal.

( Did you read my posts with the intention of comprehending what I was saying, or were you just trying have an argument with somebody, and win? )

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Really? He made a choice to carry around 65 lbs of an illegal substance, that's a pretty blatant violation of the law, I have no pity for him. I guess next you'll tell me that a man in jail for poaching isn't deserving of his punishment either, because "the power of words" put him in there?

Follow the law, stay out of jail. Simple as that. Doesn't matter what your opinion of the law is, if you break it you face the consequences.
    My pocket....unpicked...my leg....unbroken. No foul. EFF that stupid law.

7. Banned
    Then stop making the argument that alcohol should be illegal.

( Did you read my posts with the intention of comprehending what I was saying, or were you just trying have an argument with somebody, and win? )
    I'm not posting for an argument, I'm posting so other readers will see that logically my approach makes sense. To do that I have to contrast it against the pro-drug warrior posts. If I misunderstood your position, I apologize. Be less vague please.

My pocket....unpicked...my leg....unbroken. No foul. EFF that stupid law.
    Just curious; say a driver with a 0.35 bac drives 100 miles, and creates no damage to life or property.

EFF that stupid law?

Or, are some laws about risk management?

I'm not posting for an argument, I'm posting so other readers will see that logically my approach makes sense. To do that I have to contrast it against the pro-drug warrior posts. If I misunderstood your position, I apologize. Be less vague please.
    Just for you, from now on, I'll dumb it down.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    6 months for 65 lbs. Definitely some lawyering going on there. Kinda insulting to expect someone to accept that this was simple possession and nothing more. It's unfortunate what happened to this guy. The prison environment is unforgiving.
    65 lbs, that was just for personal use.

11. Banned
    If an intelligent being could appear here and have no history/preconceived notion on weed or alcohol and just looked at the effects of each on a person when using, the propensity for violence associated with their use, the data on deaths related directly to the two, and the potential health issues/benefits of both there would be no doubt they would find our current laws and many people's perception very flawed and illogical.

12. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Pot was only made illegal due to a push from the textile industry to make hemp fiber illegal because they could not compete with it. The easiest way to do it was claim it was some horrible drug, it is laughable to have it as schedule A with heroin and coke.

At this point its not helping there is big money in incarceration (for profit jail systems, and the "drug war").

^^ Perhaps a BBC boycott of the textile industry is in order, since most of us are already boycotting the incarceration industy.

14. Banned
    Just curious; say a driver with a 0.35 bac drives 100 miles, and creates no damage to life or property.

EFF that stupid law?

Or, are some laws about risk management?
    On one hand I know for a fact that lots of people drive drunk and no one gets hurt, on the other I know for a fact that it is dangerous and the vehicle is basically running on luck. I would be ok with life sentences for vehicular homicide via DUI, I support revoking licenses and fining of those caught driving drunk, but not jail if they haven't yet harmed someone. I'm 100% opposed to DUI checkpoints.

Rights sometimes come with risk. Myself I'm confident my defensive driving skills protect me from drunks far more than cops can.

15. Banned
    I'm 100% opposed to DUI checkpoints.
    I'm okay with them, as you in the act of driving when you go through them.

I am however 100% opposed to Fish & Game checkpoints along the highway - you are not in the act of hunting or fishing when you drive through a fish & game roadblock, therefore the checking of licenses and gear should not be done. There might be things in the truck that aren't legal to take afield but yet you have to prove that they were never taken afield. It's a completely bogus practice.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    ..... The bottom line, in this incident was the residual effect may cost this young man his life. In this case the weed was the reason he was in jail and therefore the cause of his demise so for those who say weed has no ill effects I submit that you are wrong.
    I'm sorry, I can't follow your logic. It's apples and oranges. The only way it makes sense is if you were responding to someone saying that nothing bad will happen to you for dealing pot.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Pot was only made illegal due to a push from the textile industry to make hemp fiber illegal because they could not compete with it. The easiest way to do it was claim it was some horrible drug, it is laughable to have it as schedule A with heroin and coke.

At this point its not helping there is big money in incarceration (for profit jail systems, and the "drug war").

It reads as if You're verse w/Harry Amslinger's propaganda and how even the politicians back then were in Ri¢hie$ Pockets (LaGuardia- Hearst, Morgan, Rockefeller et al.) Here is a snippet for a quick refresher:
    http://www.csdp.org/publicservice/anslinger.htm

And a quick video re: The Demon Weed™

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I'm okay with them, as you in the act of driving when you go through them.

I am however 100% opposed to Fish & Game checkpoints along the highway - you are not in the act of hunting or fishing when you drive through a fish & game roadblock, therefore the checking of licenses and gear should not be done. There might be things in the truck that aren't legal to take afield but yet you have to prove that they were never taken afield. It's a completely bogus practice.
    The 4th Amendment says both practices are illegal, but our government wipes their @$$ with the constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I'm going to take a wild guess that in order to get that small of a sentence that he probably gave up some bigger players in the game. Those players might also be the reason for the attack. No excuse really and still horrible that it happened but drugs are a nasty game. Yes, even pot
    Happened in Jersey, and what Federal prosecutor is the governor and 6 mos for 65#, give me a break Chris.

20. Member
    The drug "war" in Mexico between drug running factions, which is a direct result of the market for drugs in the U.S., claimed 164,000 lives between the years 2007 and 2014. Recent numbers released about a week ago show this last year to even be deadlier. More lives have been lost in the fighting over who gets to sell drugs into the U.S., than the total lost lives, civilian and military, in both Irag and Afghanistan combined. Those who do not understand how deadly it is to buy illegal drugs, are woefully ignorant of the facts, or don't care how many Mexicans die so they can smoke their weed. It's one or the other, and probably both.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast