Praying Mounting boat seats in Stratos 201

Hey guys, i have a '97 Stratos 201 and its time for new seats. The gas tanks are located under and behind the seat area on this model. Im asking if there is some space between the fiberglass and the tanks that would allow me to drill into the glass to mount the backrests and seats? The seat has mounts on the front to allow them to fold forward and the backrest are supposed to be screwed into the back area of the bench. I obviously dont want to drill into the gas tanks. Any advice is appreciated. The backrests came with 1 1/2" screws and the seats 1" screws. Are these too long? Maybe try shorter screws? Thx

2. Member
    I have a 93. On my year model there is a stair-step panel that the seats are fastened to. The screws are located along the bottom lip of this stair step panel at the floor, between the carpeted area of the drivers seat and throttle lever and the the lip just behind the top of the seats. I can't remember if the passenger side had any so you may have to check that area. All of the screws are well hidden in the carpet if they haven't previously been removed. It's not a bad job to pull the panel, just screws and a little time. I personally wouldn't drill and wouldn't trust the length of screws without pulling the panel to verify fitment. It's fairly tight in mine and I think the tank was L-shaped coming under the seat too. Again, mine is a 93 so not sure how similar it is to the 97. Good luck.

Length will be fine, but the panel is actually aluminum, so be careful when screwing them in not to strip them out.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS