Mounting boat seats

Hey guys, a little advice please. I have a '97 Stratos 201 that needs new seats. I purchased some bucket seats from a board sponsor that fit fine and look good. I know the gas tanks are mounted both under and behind the bench you mount the seats on. Is there a gap between the fiberglass of the bench and back rest to mount the seats with screws? I want to be careful and not drill into the tanks. The seats came with 1 1/2 inch screws for the backrests and 1" screws for the seat. Any advice is appreciated.

Length will be fine, but the panel is actually aluminum, so be careful when screwing them in not to strip them out.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    KutTail thx much. Do you mean there is aluminum behind the fiberglass where you mount the back rests? And under the bench?

There is not fiberglass under the seats, it's an aluminum bench.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Thx KutTail. Installed them today, no probs. Bought my seats from BassBoatSeats.com and they had free shipping and no tax, so a big shoutout to them!

6. Member
    I have the same boat. Do you have pictures?

7. Member
    JKling, i will post them when i can.(im out of town). My boat is white/teal and i bought the seat/storage bin from bassboatseats.com., I chose charcoal/gray as the color and also added some pedestal seats in the same color. They installed easily. 1 1/2" stainless screws were provided, but i bought 1 1/4" because i was nervous about drilling, because the gas tanks are located behind and under the seat bench. No problems. I checked with the body shop guy at C and O marine first.

8. Member
    You can cut a coathanger and stick it through the old seat holes to see how long of a screw you can use. You have a pretty good length available.
    You should send your old seats to wall hanger so he can get them re-covered while he fishes this summer.