Banned

3 bank charger charging one battery

I have a 3 bank charger but one of my batteries is low and the other two is not. So I disconnected the two thats good to charge the one. My question is will this hurt the charger. Of course the other two banks are blinking. This is a pro series sportsman.

Thanks

2. Member
    I don't think it will hurt the charger but there is no reason to ever disconnect individual batteries.

3. Banned
    I don't like to charge a battery thats 50 to 75% charged, you will just shorten the life span of the battery. Thats why this one battery was due for a charge and had to disconnect the others. My main concern was not to damage the charger.

4. Member
    It won't hurt the charger but leaving batteries at less than a full charge for periods of time is NOT good for them. I've always read and been told to charge them back a soon as you can to a full charge. I know for a fact that draining them down to near dead will shorten the life span. Not saying your wrong, you have to do what works for you, just what I've heard

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnmaine View Post
    I have a 3 bank charger but one of my batteries is low and the other two is not. So I disconnected the two thats good to charge the one. My question is will this hurt the charger. Of course the other two banks are blinking. This is a pro series sportsman.

Thanks
    The two that were charged won't overcharge if left hooked up.
    The one that's low won't charge any faster if the other two are unhooked.

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas

I often use 3 banks to charge a heavily discharged battery in order to 1) meet the minimum charging amps directed by a battery manufacturer and 2) it certainly helps reduce a heavily discharged deep cycle battery's overall recharge time with the additional two banks with the 'normal assigned bank' together delivering much higher charging amps (3X) during the bulk fill stage.

However I would not disconnect a charged battery from it's charger otherwise.....better left connected on my 24/7 powered charger which goes to an environmental float stage for up to 30 days before applying another charging cycle.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 06-26-2017 at 08:44 PM.

all charger leads to 1 Battery? what ya doing ? trying to Gang Bang the Battery?

8. Member
    I don't like to charge a battery thats 50 to 75% charged, you will just shorten the life span of the battery.
    Not true. Charging batteries as soon as you can after use (even minimal use) will prolong their life.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I don't like to charge a battery thats 50 to 75% charged, you will just shorten the life span of the battery. Thats why this one battery was due for a charge and had to disconnect the others. My main concern was not to damage the charger.
    Letting a battery get that low is destroying it. Charge them absolutely as soon as possible to 100% every time they are used. Letting them remain discharged is the worst possible thing you can do to them.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​