1994 Yamaha P200 TLRS

I am getting an alarm on my p200 when I try to plane it out. It's got oil in both tanks, and a new impeller. Any ideas?

I've ordered the replacement part and gasket for the poppet and will try and install later in the week.

Also is there a difference in the oil and heat alarm sounds? Maybe that will help me figure out which ghost to chase...

--Smitty

2. Banned
    Oil and over temperature alarms sound the same. Same warning horn used for both.

A low voltage situation will also cause the horn to sound.

Don't start throwing parts at the problem until you know what the problem is. Yamaha won't like it but your wallet will.

Well, it's doing it again. I've got another new impeller, new poppet valve, and checked both thermostats (operating properly). Any ideas??? It idles fine and will occasionally get up on plane but almost immediately starts beeping and goes in to safe mode. HELP!
    Last edited by Smitty4Bama; 07-24-2017 at 02:20 PM.

4. Banned
    Check any and all electrical connections if you think it is not an over temperature or low oil problem.

Get a Yamaha multi-function tachometer and it will help pinpoint where the problem is.

Is there a way to test the oil level sensor in the main tank? I thought it might be that so I went to the local boat bone yard a bought a used one for $20. I don't' know if both are bad (old and new/used) or neither have anything to do with the problem. I also don't get oil transfer from the boat tank to the main reservoir. I fill it by hand before every trip. I figured as long as their was plenty of oil in the main, it should be fine. Is there something I can bypass or test to see if one of these oil reservoirs is the issue? If so, how do I do it? I've got two kids in college and just can't swing taking it to a mechanic right now...

6. Banned
    The oil level sensor in the main (engine mounted) oil tank has three switches. They are either open or closed depending upon the level of the float. I simple test will do it.

Another simple test is used to verify that the wiring from the sensor to the CDI is in good condition.

Same with the sensor in the remote tank. It has just one switch. It is either open or closed. A wiring issue between the remote tank and the motor is usually the problem child. That or the pump has failed or the strainer is clogged.

If the automatic oil transfer system is not working you need to get that fixed first. It may or may not be related to the warning system being activated.