Boat insurance - beware of Foremost

I renewed my policy on May 7th. I sold my boat on June 17th. So, I had insurance for 5 weeks on it. I paid $161 for the year on my policy. Expecting to receive say 75% back, figuring 3/4 since most companies use a quarterly payback, I was informed I am only getting back $61.
    Beware of a minimum premium put on your policy by your insurance company! Foremost has a $100 minimum premium and it starts on day one. So, as soon as you sign a policy with Foremost, it costs you $100. If you write it today and cancel it tomorrow, you lose $100.
    This is the first time in 40+ years I ever saw an insurance company do this. I just want you to be aware of this when you go to get insurance.
    Foremost won't be getting any more money from me. BTW, they belong to Farmer's Ins.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

you also need to change the value of the boat in the policy each year or they will charge you a premium based on the new value even though they wont pay it in a claim.
    Ranger Forever

3. Member
    I believe that most insurance companies have a "minimum cost of coverage" or "Earned Premium". I am not defending insurance company overcharges...because they will take advantage of we mopes anytime they can....

However, there are plenty of guys who would take out their insurance in March; run the boat hard all summer; and cancel in September.

If they only had to pay for the portion of the calendar year....the insurance company would be taking most of the risk ( boats are busy during the Summer and dead in the Winter in many States)...but the policyholder would get away with only paying a portion, even though he used the boat during the riskiest time of the year.