Air compressor decoder request, please!

Would someone please decode the julian date on my compressor? Also, any idea what the white paint "dot" in the photo is or means?

My best guess is sometime in 1999. https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...Yarsd7FcBCU1zm

Thanks!

See this thread. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=#post8446537

A Julian date is simply a 5 digit number representing a specific day. For example a Julian date of 17126. The "17" is the year (2017). The "126" is the 126th day of that year. IOW May 6th, 2017.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Thanks for the help! Not sure why this gave me such trouble. Every Julian converter I tried online gave me a crazy way in the future date. Any ideas what the white painted dot on the side may be?

The white dot indicates the updated reed plate

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

5. Member
    Hmm. Interesting! I have owned the boat for 2 years now and this "update" was not done since I have owned it. Was there a previous TSB on these for older engines in the past?

Don or Savage will have to answer that one

It could simply mean the motor was built after the production change

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

7. Member
    Its not hard either your compressor falls within the two numbers range.....14189 to 16246, or it doesn't. The compressor may have been inspected internally at Mercury before the Bulletin was finally released.

8. Member
    Thanks for the replies AreTheyBiting and Savage. I apologize, it appears my original question was not written well and was misunderstood. My question had NOTHING to do with the recently posted/ discussed TSB for the compressor per se. I was just working on the old girl this weekend and doing some cleaning, saw the white paint "dot" and it peaked my curiosity. I have only owned this boat/ motor for 2 of its 17 years. I called Mercury and got the motor registered in my name after purchase to see what all work had been done on the motor. Not much of anything at all. Just trying to continue to learn about my motor and its condition. So I noticed the white "dot", goodness knows how long it has been there and was trying to determine if the compressor was original or if it had been replaced sometime in the past. When I put the Julian date in the online conversion sites I found, it gave me a date in 4058 or something crazy. So now with everyone's input, I know it is original from 1999 and original. So the white dot could mean it was repaired in the past, looked at prior to my purchase 2 years ago my mercury or other things I guess. My curiosity got the best me.