carpeting deck.... what to do with the pedestal bushing

Just glued down the carpet on the front deck of my boat. What is the best bet for cutting around the pedestal bushings. I have read something about using a soldering iron but I cant picture what in the world someone would be using it for.

Are most cutting around the entire bushing leaving it exposed ???? Or are you all maybe using the iron to only make the hole in the carpet and allowing the busing to remain under the carpet. If the later is the case how are you keeping the post from tearing up the carpet.

2. Member
    If it's the large hole style use a soldering iron and go around the inside edge.

If its the small hole hole like a triton use a soldering iron and go around the outside edge.

Soldering iron melts the carpet and carpet backing the keep he keep it from unraveling over time.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

Or use a torch, heat a piece of copper pipe and cut the carpet with that.
    1999 Skeeter ZX202 - 2000 Mercury 200EFI - Tempest+ 25p - Minn Kota Ultrex - Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 touch/ Elite7 Chirp - GoFree WiFi1 module

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Generator View Post
    If it's the large hole style use a soldering iron and go around the inside edge.

If its the small hole hole like a triton use a soldering iron and go around the outside edge.

Soldering iron melts the carpet and carpet backing the keep he keep it from unraveling over time.
    this

5. Member
    This is a 2000 Stratos Extreme... would this be the small or large style ???

6. Member
    I just recarpeted my Gambler. I used a soldering iron for the pedestal hole. Don't make it too hard. Just melt the carpet covering the pedestal hole. Go slow, and I think you will be happy with the results. Just don't lay the soldering iron down on your deck when you step back to admire your work!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    This is a 2000 Stratos Extreme... would this be the small or large style ???

Ive done a six stratos but I don't remember I think they are small

8. Member
    Hummmm ill have to give this a practice shot on a piece of scrap. Having a hard time picturing how this will turn out well but ill give it a shot.

9. Member
    Yeah try it a few times before you do the boat

10. Member
    So I assume you all are doing this soldering iron trick after the carpet is installed correct ???

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    So I assume you all are doing this soldering iron trick after the carpet is installed correct ???

Yesh after its all done burn the holes then run the Hoover over the boat and go fishing.

12. Member
    Wear a respirator when you do it. The fumes are not good for your lungs.

13. Member
    Extremes are small bushing. Use the soldering iron to make a hole in the carpet then go around the edge of the bushing to cut/soldier the edge. Worked perfect on my extreme.

14. Member
    Thanks for this info. I'm recarpeting my 2000 Stratos Extreme, too. What a job!

Quote Originally Posted by 1 More Cast View Post
    I just recarpeted my Gambler. I used a soldering iron for the pedestal hole. Don't make it too hard. Just melt the carpet covering the pedestal hole. Go slow, and I think you will be happy with the results. Just don't lay the soldering iron down on your deck when you step back to admire your work!
    Sounds like you can personally attest to that.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzaker View Post
    Or use a torch, heat a piece of copper pipe and cut the carpet with that.
    I really like that idea. I do machine work as a side business so I could go a step further and make a guide pin so pipe fits perfectly around the bushing when sliding it down.