Late 2004 and 2005 Mercury 3 liters

Just a heads up to everyone that the late 04 and 05 model 3 liters have a pretty well known problem with cranks breaking. I have done some research on this and it seems that Mercury changed suppliers about this time. The cranks seem to break anywhere from 30 hours to 300. The weak cranks seem to show up the most in the 300x due to high compression and higher Rpms but can affect any 3 liter during this time frame. If you are rebuilding a 3 liter of his year model inspect the crank closely and take this issue into consideration if purchasing a 2005 model. I just experienced this with a 2005 300x with 200 hours
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

2. Member
    Thanks i got a 2004 225 EFI. That's ready to go back togather . Is there any special thing to look for or part of the crank ?

Didn't know this .But heard they are bad on the small black injector's ?

3. Member
    I don't really know if there is a way to tell besides possibly magnaflux. Some very interesting threads about bad cranks these 2 years if you do a google search

4. Member
    Thanks , would love to see what Don has any thing to say or know of any problems with them . he told me about the injector's.
    Or Mr Savage .

5. Member
    Oh trust me it was a problem do some reading on scream and fly

6. Member
    My 2004 250 efi just blew last month and waiting for a new power head. Had around 200 hours. Will ask my mechanic about this.

7. Member
    I would have him check for a bad injector , by a pro in cleaning them and flow testing services and see if one had lean out ?
    I brought a 2004 225 efi about 1 1/2 ago that lean out and took out a piston .

Had the injectors tested by a member here and the one with the bad piston had lean out and three more was head that way .
    Motor had around 75 - 100 hrs inside the motor looked like new .

8. Member