Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Wondering about a Striker 7sv

Thinking of upgrading the electronics on the boat and wanted to get anyone's opinion of the Striker 7SV. Note: I have a Lowrance HDS5 that works fine but I will use for GPS on my dash and whatever I add to it will handle the Sonar.

Any opinions are appreciated.
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

2. Member
    Whats most important for you - 2D, sideviewor downview? From what I have seen posted on here, the Stryker does a very good job in its price range. However, it comes pre-bundled with a CV transducer. The CV transducers have NO downview element, so if downview is important to you, dont buy a package deal with a bundled transducer. Buy the Striker without a transducer and get a separate GT type transducer to use with it.

If you dont care about downview (Garmin calls is Clearvu now) then a CV transducer is fine.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

3. Member
    It looks like just about everything from gamin comes packaged with clear view. You mentioned the get transducer does anything have that under $1000? Seems like the only way to get that is to spend e bucks and buy it separate?
    1994 Ranger 392
    2017 200ho G2

4. Member
    Yes, all the bundles will come with a transducer. That transducer will be a CV transducer with NO down element.

Garmins regular transducers are labeled GT - GT15, GT50, GT51, etc. All the GT transducers do have a down element. Any transducer labeled CV - CV15, CV51, etc, will NOT have a down element.

Garmin decided to make thsi much more confusing by changing the name of their Downview on all the head units to Clearvu at the same time. So, now you will be using Clearvu on the head unit for both transducer types and all the ehad units are labeled Clearvu - even the ones that have a GT transducer plugged in.

If you want a GT transducer, then do not buy a bubdled package deal that includes a transducer. It will always be a CV transducer. The only option os to buy a separate head unit and separate transducer.

I highly recomend you check with Brian at BBGMARINE.COM. He is a board sponsor and his service and pricing is very very hard to beat. He can set you up with what you want if anyone can at the best possible price.

5. Member
    I have the 7dv on my trolling motor, I didn't care about mapping in the front. The supplied transducer functions with both the 2d sonar and down vu.
    Really been happy with it.

6. Banned
    so how is downview being handled with a cv transducer on a downview only model?

its actually a sideview transducer with no down element?

7. Member
    Good question. Id say your guess is probably accurate, but thats just a guess.

8. Banned
    Ya it's odd to think Garmin may be going the more expensive route in manufacturing a 2-element transducer just to show downview.

Its also odd that a downview-only model might be a simulated view

and what about the coverage angle if it is a sideview transducer? Should it show more bottom on dv theoretically?

9. Member
    I don't think they cost that much to make. Biggest cost is likely the R & D to develop the transducers. Maybe someone with a CV only unit (no SideVu) that came with the CV transducer and later purchased a GT transducer would be willing to cut the transducer and expose the elements. Since Lowrance admitted that the CV units did not violate their patent claim, it can't contain a down element. Just my opinion.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

10. Banned
    I think this answers my question

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I don't think they cost that much to make. Biggest cost is likely the R & D to develop the transducers. Maybe someone with a CV only unit (no SideVu) that came with the CV transducer and later purchased a GT transducer would be willing to cut the transducer and expose the elements. Since Lowrance admitted that the CV units did not violate their patent claim, it can't contain a down element. Just my opinion.
    Lowrance cut one open at the end of that video - no down element. Plus, Garmin already admitted they dont have one.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    Ya it's odd to think Garmin may be going the more expensive route in manufacturing a 2-element transducer just to show downview.

Its also odd that a downview-only model might be a simulated view

and what about the coverage angle if it is a sideview transducer? Should it show more bottom on dv theoretically?
    Companies do this sort of thing all the time. Especially phone companies and other hi end electronics. The hardware has all the capabilities to do all sorts of things built in, but you have to pay extra for certain features. They dont bother to make two different versions. Instead, features get turned ON/OFF by a simple software change. Same hardware in both devices, but one with extra features turned on costs more to buy. No difference in mfg cost at all. Its pure profit for the MFG.

Garmins' Downview andf Clearview both stink no matter what transducer you have. If this view is important to you than buy another brand or you will be disappointed.

14. Member
    Garmin's CV52 works just fine:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (97.1 KB, 76 views)

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Garmins' Downview andf Clearview both stink no matter what transducer you have. If this view is important to you than buy another brand or you will be disappointed.
    I have typed this about five times and deleted it, not going to say what I think other than I disagree. The DI with the GTs isn't that bad. Depends on what you are doing with it I guess. I have no trouble telling stumps from brush from laydowns from stakebeds and seeing fish on them. I personally couldn't ask it to do anymore.

16. Member
    Its easy, if you want a $3000 view don't buy a $500 unit.......................

17. Member
    Vik, What head unit is that on? Also trying to confirm that is the transducer for the 7SV.

Thank you for the info.
    Thank you everyone for the info. I think to get started and for $450, it gives me a chance to reduce the learning curve on finding new areas on places like Champlain, St Lawrence, Mowhawk river etc. What I'm looking for is to understand when I have found fish what structure is holding them and where else there is the same structure.
    1994 Ranger 392
    2017 200ho G2

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickyrick View Post
    Vik, What head unit is that on? Also trying to confirm that is the transducer for the 7SV.

This is Gamin Striker 7sv :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvGZFcr2rNA&t=38s

Quote Originally Posted by smalljawer View Post
    Its easy, if you want a $3000 view don't buy a $500 unit.......................
    $3000 Garmin is no better images. Just more features.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    $3000 Garmin is no better images. Just more features.
    I agree with Monte. Price doesnt buy you anything other than a larger screen and more pixels. Those extra pixels will still show you fuzzy, out of focus, down and side imaging that lack clear detail that is easily seen in the other top brands. If you do choose Garmin, the GT transducers give more down image detail than the CV transducers under identical, side by side conditions. Thats because the CV transdcuers can only simulate downview - they have no down element.

I have a $3000+ Garmin combo - 7610 + GT51 - and my 8 year old, $600 Humminbird made much better side and down images. The Garmin has more range, but the Humminbird images were beautifuly sharp and detailed and make my Garmin images look like shots from a $20 cell phone compared to a $1000 Nikon.

Of the three most popular brands, Garmin has lowest quality down and sideview. Hummibird is best, Lowrance second, Garmin third and barely in the race as far as Im concerned.

Is it usable? Yes. Is it great? No. Good? No. Usable is about as far as I am willing to go. It will get the job done on a bare bones basis, but if you've been using Lowrance or especially Hummiinbird, you are going to be disappointed.

Proving or disproving that - for yourself - is easy. Just look through the Image Forums on this board. There are separate ones for each brand. Take a 1/2 hours and browse through them, then make up your own mind. You might be perfectly happy.
    Last edited by Larry3215; 07-06-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast