Help With Prop Pitch for Marriner 135 on a Ranger 373V

I have a 1998 Mercury Mariner 135 on the back of my Ranger 373V. Currently running a 19 degree / 14 Diameter prop...
    Max RPM on the motor is 5500...
    At wide open throttle, I am getting to the 5500 fairly easily and I am starting to hear the motor cut out when I totally drop the hammer (which I know is REALLY bad)...
    I want to increase the prop pitch to help combat this...
    First off... Is this the proper way to handle the situation or should I just back off the throttle a bit.... (I am kind of a speed freak)...
    Secondly.... I was thinking of going all the way to 23 pitch but have read that over pitching is just as bad as under pitching...
    Thoughts.... 21 degree or 23?
    Any Help appreciated....

2. Member
    Is that a SS prop or aluminum and 3 blade or 4 blade? Do you have a small diameter gear case on it now with 2:0 gears?

3. Member
    It's a stainless 3 blade prop on it now. I haven't changed anything from the manufacturer but don't know enough about props or engines to answer the gear ratio... After talking to Tech Support at both Mercury and Overtons, I actually ordered a Michigan Apollo 3 blade 21 pitch from Overtons earlier today. They said I would take my RPM's down about 400 with the added 2 degrees of pitch... that's about where I want to be... Thoughts???

4. Member
    2 inches in pitch should take it down 400 rpm's but I don't think the Apollo is the right prop.