First trip with new RT 198

Just got home from a month on lake Champlain. Stayed on North Hero island with my new RT 198 docked and ready to hop in and go every morning. Have to say I am very impressed with every aspect of this boat. It jumps on plane in just a few feet, is easy to run in 2 to 3 foot waves and is a stable platform to fish from. After a couple of hours of break in, which Evinrude says is not necessary, she ran easy in the upper 50s with the Evinrude 150 HO. The only issues with the boat is the cockpit is a little tight and I have a few cuts on my right knee from the sharp edge of the console. Didn't know that tilt wheel was an option because this boat should not be ordered without it. The only other issue was that the trolling motor, Fortex 80, did not seem to have the power it should, checked out the wiring and found that the batteries were wired wrong, I was only getting 12 volts. After rewiring the batteries the trolling motor was fine. All in all I love this boat. Now all I have to do is find a buyer for my Crestliner Fishhawk 1750.

2. Banned
    Sweet

I thought I would keep the RT188 until ....... Who knows.

But man these boats do look nice on the showroom and the reports have been pretty good.

Like I said.... Who knows?

Nice set up and boat. You have any pictures on here anywhere yet?
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

4. Member
    Congrats, how was the fishing

5. Member
    Will try to post pictures when I get her back from having a 4 inch Atlas hyd. jackplate and a power pole installed. They were supposed to be installed before the Champlain trip but did not get here in time.
    The spring fishing on Champlain can be incredible with 100 plus fish a day common. This year the weather has been very ruff with cold front after cold front rolling thru. One day it was 90 degrees and the next day it was 40. The fish just don't know what to do. Still had a great time breaking in the 198 and catching some 4 pound plus smallmouth.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Worthless thread without pics!!!
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Remove the angled carpeted foot rests.... will open up some leg room. Few screws.
    Troy

2017 Ranger RT188 ( Dark Charcoal )
    Mercury Pro XS 115 4 stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex w/link 45" 80lb
    Hydraulic Steering
    4" Set Jack Plate
    Laser II 20p
    Mercury Vessel View
    Humminbird Helix 10si on console w/BBT mount
    Helix 10di on bow w/Ram mount
    Deck Step
    Trailer Ratchet Straps
    Boarding Ladder
    Auto Bilge
    Livewell Recirc. w/ pump out

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman25 View Post
    Worthless thread without pics!!!
    I have to agree

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyman1514 View Post
    Remove the angled carpeted foot rests.... will open up some leg room. Few screws.
    This is what I did. I'm 6'4" and have enough room now to get my legs under the console.

10. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Just got home from a month on lake Champlain. Stayed on North Hero island with my new RT 198 docked and ready to hop in and go every morning. Have to say I am very impressed with every aspect of this boat. It jumps on plane in just a few feet, is easy to run in 2 to 3 foot waves and is a stable platform to fish from. After a couple of hours of break in, which Evinrude says is not necessary, she ran easy in the upper 50s with the Evinrude 150 HO. The only issues with the boat is the cockpit is a little tight and I have a few cuts on my right knee from the sharp edge of the console. Didn't know that tilt wheel was an option because this boat should not be ordered without it. The only other issue was that the trolling motor, Fortex 80, did not seem to have the power it should, checked out the wiring and found that the batteries were wired wrong, I was only getting 12 volts. After rewiring the batteries the trolling motor was fine. All in all I love this boat. Now all I have to do is find a buyer for my Crestliner Fishhawk 1750.
    What size trolling motor batteries came with the boat? 24, or 27 series? Thanks.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonHaske View Post
    What size trolling motor batteries came with the boat? 24, or 27 series? Thanks.
    I will find out saturday. I pick my new one up then.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Mine came with interstate SRM-27s.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I thought I would keep the RT188 until ....... Who knows.

But man these boats do look nice on the showroom and the reports have been pretty good.

Like I said.... Who knows?

Nice set up and boat. You have any pictures on here anywhere yet?
    As a Former RT 188 Owner. I recently saw a 198P in Person at Cabelas. I crawled all over it inside and out. WOW!

What really stood out to me was the little things, the attention to detail that did not come on the 188. This particular 198 was priced at 31K, which was about 5K more than the RT 188 I purchased back in 2013.

Here is what that extra 5 grand buys you.

1. Trailer - 4" Channel vs. 3" channel on the 188.
    2. More HP. 150 vs 115.
    3. Hydralic Steering ( which I think may be standard now on the 188 also, not sure though.)
    4. Center day box - Very very nice day box with 2 cup holders
    5. Tilt steering, in fact even the steering wheel is much nicer.
    6. Larger graphs in the console.
    7. An Extra Rod Locker on the Port side VS. only a center rod locker on the RT 188.
    8. Larger Front Deck.
    9. Built in Fiberglass cooler with drain.

I'm sure I missed other things, those are what stood out to me. The only Negative I give the RT 198P is the Starboard side Storage locker does not extend beyond the Locker Lid, there is a bulk head, which means you can't store any long items in that area, ( such as Paddle, Net, etc.).

14. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Mine came with interstate SRM-27s.
    Thanks.