2010 721 with new 250 SHO need some help

Hi guys I just repowered my 721 with a brand-new 250 Sho.i propped it with the 25 fury from my old 250 X's.i know a few guys running the sho with the fury prop but they are on basscats. I have started the break in period and I'm not happy with the way it is running. I've tried running at all different heights and trim and this thing is just to hard to drive. My max rpm is also only 5300 ish at 73mph. These numbers just don't mix. I was told to prop it to run 5900 to 6000 rpm. Not the numbers I was hoping to see. Anyone running a fury on this set up? I have a 10 inch atlas hydro jack as well. Any info would be great. Thx

2. Member
    On a Phoenix the fury and sho do not mix. You need a 25 t1 or a 26 t1. I run a 25 personally. And you really need to be able to get up to 6k. Bogging that motor down is not good for seating the rings. Good news is you should be able to seek your fury pretty quick. Bad news is it might be hard to find a t1 last I checked. You can also run a worked 26 tempest. I have one of those too but it's not quite as good as the t1

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I also responded to bustingbass about this on the yamaha forum, same suggestion, there just isnt going to be a setup that will make those fury's work right. that SHO needs to run high and the Fury's want to run deep, the only way I found to get one to run right was to drop to a 24p and add extra cup, then it will run as long as you are wide open, slow down and it will porpoise. there are some T2s becoming available at dealers but they are not cheep.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    after reading your other post on the yamaha forum It reminded me, you say you are only turning 5300, is that the Phoenix Tach? if so its wrong. you have to change the dip-switches for a yamaha if you haven't already that. the Mercs are set different. its not going to make that fury work but at least the speed vs RPMs will make more sense.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

5. Member
    That is the phoenix tach... how off would it be ? I thought 5300 at 73 mph seemed off. The boat should run 3-4 mph quicker than that. I just want to make sure I am getting my rpms to where they should be . Especially for break in. This thing is crazy hard to drive right now. Clinching my butt cheeks at WOT lol. My xs was one hander at 77 mph . I looked around and there is no used T1s around . Grrr

Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    after reading your other post on the yamaha forum It reminded me, you say you are only turning 5300, is that the Phoenix Tach? if so its wrong. you have to change the dip-switches for a yamaha if you haven't already that. the Mercs are set different. its not going to make that fury work but at least the speed vs RPMs will make more sense.
    Very good point about the tach dip switches!!!! Totally missed that when trying to help him out on the Yamaha forum. Great catch! I think a tempest would run better until he could find a T-1...I have a spare T-1 but its a 27 pitch, if he was closer I would gladly let him try it out.

7. Member
    A tempest will run better than a fury but it will need some work.

8. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    H
    Here are the settings For the SHO
    Maybe somone who's tach was set wrong can chime in with how much it was off
    Attached Images Attached Images
    info@drewcraft.com

9. Member
    I have a 25 fury on my 2016 250 SHO. I run it with all the holes plugged and it comes out of the hole crazy fast. My top speed so far has been 76.5 running the atlas at 17 with engine mounted on second hole. Not the 78-80 that some people are getting but the T1s are hard to find and kind of expensive. I will get a T1 just not worth it right now. I captain for my sons high school fishing tournaments and with me and two 17 yr olds full livewell s and 3/4 tank of gas in the summer and I am seeing 72 and some change fairly regularly. The Fury works just might not be as good as the T1. The Yamaha likes trim more so than the Mercury does. I run my trim at 3/4 to full trim to get the high end. I also haven't seen over 5800 rpm yet so I would like to get 6000 at some point i think that will give me that little extra.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bustingbass View Post
    Hi guys I just repowered my 721 with a brand-new 250 Sho.i propped it with the 25 fury from my old 250 X's.i know a few guys running the sho with the fury prop but they are on basscats. I have started the break in period and I'm not happy with the way it is running. I've tried running at all different heights and trim and this thing is just to hard to drive. My max rpm is also only 5300 ish at 73mph. These numbers just don't mix. I was told to prop it to run 5900 to 6000 rpm. Not the numbers I was hoping to see. Anyone running a fury on this set up? I have a 10 inch atlas hydro jack as well. Any info would be great. Thx
    see above reply also make sure that your trim gauge is zeroed out or close to it so you can get an Acurate gauge of where you are.

11. Member
    Thank you . Ill take a look in the am to see where I'm set. My holes on the fury aren't fully plugged as I couldn't get them on time. I did put vent plugs in that had holes to close them up a bit. I still had really good hole shot . Not sure if them not being fully plugged would make a difference on the top end . There are a couple T1 25p around my area for sale. Seems like most guys are running the 26 though. how do 4 blades run on these things?

12. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    25/26p FXP prop works well. Easy to steer.

Just saw this on the props for sale board...no clue what shape they are in but they wont last long.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=824124

14. Member
    Yup gone already . I found a T1 25p locally for 350. Something tells me it may be a bit small though

15. Member
    Unless your running pretty light it shouldn't be small and if it is it shouldn't be by much. Might need marks touch to get you right where you want to be.

16. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bustingbass View Post
    Yup gone already . I found a T1 25p locally for 350. Something tells me it may be a bit small though
    . if you but it and dont like it I will trade you my 26 FXP if its at least a 9.0
    info@drewcraft.com

17. Member
    Ok thanks will let u know. Im putting 12ft talons on and have 4 31 series so I would say I run heavy

18. Member
    I think a 25 will be fine. Worst case it will need a little more bite for a few hundred rpms.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    H
    Here are the settings For the SHO
    Maybe somone who's tach was set wrong can chime in with how much it was off
    I just pulled out the dash and my rpm gauge is set to Yamaha according to this picture. Not sure what that says for my low rpm

If you are running AGMs and are planning to add poles or talons I think the 25 T-1 will be a good prop. I am on my second boat with a SHO and they have to get some hours on them before they loosen up. My first SHO didnt really come alive until it had about 50 hours on it.