Yak for beginner testing waters?

If someone wanted to test the waters to see if yak fishing is enjoyable what would everyone suggest? Obviously wouldn't want to spend a ton only to find out I don't like it.

2. Member
    I have a emotion stealth angler 11 . Got it at Cabelas for $299 on Black Friday , seen them for $350 a couple times since then on a door usher . They are 11 ft long 30 inches wide with a weight capacity of 300 . Lol last weekend me (175) my son (170) my grandson (52) were all in it and still floating! Just goofing off ! I can stand an fish in it ! It is my first yak and couldn't be happier

I got into kayak fishing by renting. When I realized I enjoyed it, I bought my own. It quickly taught me the benefits of a Sit-on-top vs Sit-in kayak.

4. Member
    Recommend attempting to demo as many models as you can. See if there is a paddling group in your area. FB group page or something.

Demo or rent are great ways to start out...try to find a local kayak shop willing to let you get out on one for awhile.

Realize also that a $200 kayak may scare you off as they are usually smaller and uncomfortable to fish out of. I would honestly stick around the $400-$500 range which will get you a nice entry level "fishing" kayak. Kayaks hold their value extremely well, so if in the case you don't like it you should be able to sell it easily.

Most paddle shops will let you demo.

7. Member
    I'm in the market for a fishing Yak. Would be my first one. The owner of one for sale is willing to let me demo it for a day. I plan on doing so in the next week. Can't wait.

Cool!
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

If you decide you do want to try and get into the sport I would suggest doing some research on some of the more affordable but mid level boats that many of the tournament kayak anglers use. Then cruise Craigslist or the Facebook for sale pages and try and pick up a used one. You can save a decent chunk of cash by buying used and even on a budget you can get yourself into a nice boat.

Some of the boats that come to mind in the above category would be:

Wilderness Systems Ride 115 or 135
    Wilderness Systems Atak
    Jackson Cuda 14
    Jackson Coosa
    Feelfree Moken
    Feefree Lure
    Native Ultimate
    Native Slayer

Some of the above boats are considered premium priced models but you can find them used from time to time at substantial discounts.