Shocks for 1500 Sierra

I have a 2010 Sierra, 2wd, 6.2 l, 6 speed, 3.72 rear I believe with locking differential. They call it an "extreme towing package" crew cab. I now have 40,000 miles on it and am a bit annoyed at the kind of rough ride even with the Wrangler tires pressure 35F-40R for towing. Is there a milder rebound shock I could install for a smoother ride. I hate the loudness on asphalt with these tires but they have better than 1/2 their tread left and I just had them rotated. I think Michelin M/S tire would be quieter at highway speed. I'm not getting the trade fever, at 72 this is my last vehicle and boat. What would you suggest?

2. Member
    I bet that's a pullin' SOB for sure! Are you getting trailer bounce on certain roads? If so, that is as much the roads as anything. I had a 2010 LTZ Silverado 6.2 with Bridgestone tires and it bounced as well on certain roads. I now have a 2015 LTZ Silverado 6.2 and while I still get some of the same bounce, it is much quieter than my 2010 was. The new generation Silverado/Sierras are much quieter than the previous models. I surely miss the exhaust note of the 2010 tho.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

No trailer bounce and you are right about the tune of the beast. No displeasure other than the roar of the rear tires mostly is getting on my nerves.

Is 40 psi recommended for daily use or just to get the optimal towing performance? Unless you are towing a max load on a pretty regular basis then its probably unnecessary to run the air pressure that high. If they can be run about 32 psi then you may see an improvement. It sounds like you are trying to solve a tire issue with shocks. They tires will reach the end of their life long before the shocks do so I'd just look for tires that meet your needs better when they wear out as opposed to replacing shock unnecessarily. Also, it may be expected that a half-ton truck with the max towing package will not ride as smooth as a model without it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Is 40 psi recommended for daily use or just to get the optimal towing performance? Unless you are towing a max load on a pretty regular basis then its probably unnecessary to run the air pressure that high. If they can be run about 32 psi then you may see an improvement. It sounds like you are trying to solve a tire issue with shocks. They tires will reach the end of their life long before the shocks do so I'd just look for tires that meet your needs better when they wear out as opposed to replacing shock unnecessarily. Also, it may be expected that a half-ton truck with the max towing package will not ride as smooth as a model without it.
    Just checked on drivers door says 32F 38R, I've been running 35F 40R all the time so I don't have to change back and forth 3-4 times a month. I guess that could have a bearing on ride but not the obnoxious roar on the freeway, but I will try it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
    Just checked on drivers door says 32F 38R, I've been running 35F 40R all the time so I don't have to change back and forth 3-4 times a month. I guess that could have a bearing on ride but not the obnoxious roar on the freeway, but I will try it anyway.
    What are you towing 3-4 times a month that needs the higher psi? If it's just a bass boat you don't need it and you'll be fine with the lower psi. And I'd got 32 psi all around. But, if your towing a heavy load and really need it the I'd stay at the higher psi and just live with the harsh ride.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 2WD single cab. 5.3L. heavy duty suspension. Road noise is no problem but I feel like I'm driving a dump truck because it's so rough. I've thought about the same thing, maybe different shock to soften the ride???????????
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.