Thread: 24 or 36 volt?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I will never own a boat without 36 volt, but im fighting current every single second im on the water
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

2. Member
    So just out of my curiosity, are you wanting to be able to get your floater on plane with a 36V? or are you good with getting around? 82lb thrust trolly was just fine for most of the heavy barrages that roam these lakes. Now they think that they need 112lb thrust trolly just to get across their local fisheries cove.....sounds more like trying to keep up with the Jones's.
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H

3. Member
    If you fish multiple day tournament's without being able to charge then the 36 volt system is worth it. You're not straining your batteries as much. I went from 36 to 24 and I do notice a difference. My 24v fortrex pulls my boat fine and will hold in current but I didn't ever have to use my tm to the max. Maybe used it 50 percent which won't strain your batteries in the long run. If you can I would go with it. I made room but my hole shot suffered
    01 Charger 395
    2000 Yamaha OX66 225
    Black 10' Blade
    Garmin 106 and 93sv console
    Garmin 126 and 93sv bow with livescope
    FX Custom Rods pro staff

4. Member
    Big,heavy boat equals 36v trolling motor. Say a 21 Ranger or a z 21 Nitro. On my 19.5 ft boat I can move just as good as they will with my 24v. If I buy a Ultrex when and if my current MK goes down it will be a 24. Smaller boats equal less room for batteries. JMO

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 01Charger View Post
    If you fish multiple day tournament's without being able to charge then the 36 volt system is worth it. You're not straining your batteries as much. I went from 36 to 24 and I do notice a difference. My 24v fortrex pulls my boat fine and will hold in current but I didn't ever have to use my tm to the max. Maybe used it 50 percent which won't strain your batteries in the long run. If you can I would go with it. I made room but my hole shot suffered
    The reserve capacity is a point. I hadn't thought about it until this minute, but when I had a 24volt Fortrex, fishing the same lakes I fish now with a 36 volt Fortrex, when I came home from 8 hours on the water it would take 4-5 hours to charge my batteries. Now, using the same brand Dual Pro charger with a 36 volt, typically I'm fully charged in 2 hours. There have definitely been times when I was staying somewhere overnight and it was awkward finding a way to recharge for the next day's fishing. Not the biggest deal, but something to ponder.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    I fished a tournament with a 430 weigh in earlier this year. 45k cfm current, 15-20 mph winds with it and still had juice at the end of the day with my 80lb fortrex on a Ranger 518c with 3 year old group 27's.

I like 36v for fishing windy points, getting back on track after landing a fish by myself or finger point and dock hopping when I don't want to fire up the engine.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

8. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    18-19 ft boat doesn't require a 36 volt motor, yes in the river with strong current for 8 hours it would be nice. But with the expense of the 36 volt motor plus the extra weight of the battery and cost, Why. most guys on here don't fish large tournaments and don't fish in strong winds and currents mostly.

For an extra 500.00 plus an extra 100 every few years you have to ask yourself.......Do you need 36 volts.

Yes it may charge quicker, most guys plug it in and leave it anyway.

If cost isn't an option then go with a 36 volt and grab a few lithium ion that are 36 volt each and never worry about it. I know on my 21 ft Charger with a 36 volt turn up, It will throw you out of the boat if you are not careful.

I had an express with a MG80T and it would do the same if you didn't watch what you where doing.

Like stated above bassman, What size boat and how do you fish??

9. Member
    I just went to a 36 v on my 18 ft tin boat and it is worth all the expense and weight. I fish in current quite a bit and it has changed the game.

10. Member
    I fish Kentucky Lake out of a Ranger 520 with a 24V system. Never been a time where I felt like a needed a 36V system. Would it be nice, sure, but I don't feel handicapped whatsoever with 24V.

11. Member
    36V is the way to go, as many have said.....you never have to much power, if the power is not required turn it down its pretty simple logic. Run lower power, batteries last much longer that is a good...no great thing, get into current and need the extra power you got it, get into heavy weeds you have the extra power, windy day and need to stay on the motor several hours you got that ability, I have never talked to anyone with a 36V that said this motor is to big or to powerful for my boat? I have talked with many that at the end of the day have said man I wish I had a 36V out there today. I know several, myself included that were very happy to have them when the big engine stopped and I had to get back to the ramp on my trolling motor ...oh yes...I was on Lake Erie when I needed it....very happy there was 36V helping me get back.

12. Banned
    I've got a 36v AND a Unihorn (Single Power-Pole) on a 18'8 Z-118, everything fits and can still get it up. I could actually 'troll' if need be...

With this new Minn-Kota 112 I haven't even had to go past 40 and the re-charging is usually done after sitting for a meal

I have a 36V 112 fortrex. My last boat had a 24V 65 Maxxum and I often found myself pissing in the wind at the end of a normal day. The only time I experience any power loss with the 36V is when the batteries are at the end of their life cycle.

I had 2 experiences that made me glad I have a 36V. I was fishing a 2 day federation tournament, first day was nasty with high winds and I covered a bunch of water too, walked out the morning of day 2 to discover my dropcord wasnt plugged in the wall. I fished all the second day still burning up the water with little if any power loss. Another time I was fishing a BFL, Sometime between Friday afternoon and getting to my first spot, I lost a battery... totally lost reading 0 volts, my 36V ran good enough on 2 batteries to get me through the day and cash a check.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12