Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    I've had my '17 Eco for about 2 weeks now with about 650 miles on it. I've been doing a lot of running around town with it, taking it for joy rides, etc just to get miles on it so I can tow freely. I did tow the Ranger Friday night about 40 minutes each way. The truck drove almost like it was empty. The amount of power this truck has is incredible. I am hoping to get the miles up close to a grand before July 3 when I'll be loading up with my family and our stuff for a 6 day trip towing the boat 3 hours each way.

As for the start/stop, I don't understand why everyone gets so bent about it. It was weird at first, but I don't mind it at all. It can be disabled each time you get in, or permanently by having the dealership turn it off or getting a program called FORSCAN on a laptop and buying a $80 connector to plug into the truck. There are insane amounts of mod's you can do thru FORSCAN, most of which I am not interested in (I do not have it). In 2017, only the Eco's (both 2.7 and 3.5) have it. In 2018, the 5.0 gets it too. You can't just plug the trailer light connector into it because the truck knows it has a plug in and changes other things, not just the start/stop (can't remember exactly what).

The 10 speed is insanely smooth. It's hard to tell it's shifting. You hear it more than you feel it.

My mileage so far is 16.4 average since new. That's a lot of short trips around town and driving to work. The 40 minutes towing the boat is the longest I've taken so far and averaged 14.6 on that trip running between 65 & 75 on the highway for 90% of that drive.

congrats, welcome to the club and that is a sharp looking ride. I am on my 2nd Ecoboost...I put 127K miles in my 2013 and currently have 69K on my 2016...all trouble free miles.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

3. Member
    The thing that gets me on the start/stop is engaging the starter 40 times a day cant be good on battery or starter.,

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 690LIPRIPPER View Post
    The thing that gets me on the start/stop is engaging the starter 40 times a day cant be good on battery or starter.,
    I would think that as well. I don't think Ford WANTS to put it on there, but rather MUST put it on there to continue working towards the government's fuel mileage standards for 2025. I believe the manufacturer OVERALL must provide a minimum of 54.5 mpg by 2025, so anything Ford can do to get the mpgs up on their lowest mpg vehicles is going to be installed whether the consumer wants it or not.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidki.../#537fd791c482

5. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    congrats, welcome to the club and that is a sharp looking ride. I am on my 2nd Ecoboost...I put 127K miles in my 2013 and currently have 69K on my 2016...all trouble free miles.
    Thanks, hopefully mine turns out that way too.

6. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I would think that as well. I don't think Ford WANTS to put it on there, but rather MUST put it on there to continue working towards the government's fuel mileage standards for 2025. I believe the manufacturer OVERALL must provide a minimum of 54.5 mpg by 2025, so anything Ford can do to get the mpgs up on their lowest mpg vehicles is going to be installed whether the consumer wants it or not.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidki.../#537fd791c482
    Agreed completely.

7. Member
    I've got a 2016, silver 2.7 and I love it............I really don't mind the start and stop feature, I,m used to it now and don,t really notice it. Congrats on your truck!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 690LIPRIPPER View Post
    The batteries are big AGM ones, similar to what most are running in their boats. How is a starter any different than a trolling motor being turned on and off dozens of times a day? No effect on the battery. As for the starter, I have heard (with no confirmation) that the starters are different now and that the gear stays engaged but goes into a "neutral" running mode until power is applied. Everything is evolving because it has to. Ford isn't going to put a regular old starter in there and risk a million failures that they'll need to replace later on. JMO

9. Member
    Fair enough 519DVX but I'm still not sold

10. Banned
    Heck no to start stop. I would pass on any vehicle that had that if I could not permanently disable it.

11. Retired-catch and release Mikekylake's Avatar
    Very nice
    Mike DeArmon
    2012 Ranger Z521
    ​250 Yamaha SHO

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234