Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Something has to be wrong with the reel. I bought one a couple months ago and it's my favorite sub $200 Lew's reel in the lineup. The one thing I hate about the reel is that it's white, looks ugly and gets dirty easily

2. Member
    I hope you're right. I have it sitting here on the table, will call Lew's about it today. Not even worth having in the boat at this point.
    John

3. Member
    Called yesterday and talked to a knowledgeable rep. He said they were having some issue with that particular reel, and they are redesigning the palm plate. Something to do with the springs in there. They are sending me a new palm plate to try, gratis. Sure hoping that is the fix for it.
    John

4. Member
    I use Lews reels exclusively,bb1 pros,tourny pro g's,super duty. All throw any style bait with no problems.
    I bought a new custom slp, and to, have had lots of backlash issues, to the point I decided to use it for one of my flipping/punching setups.
    I'm not impressed with it

5. Member
    I have fished nothing but Lews for the past six years. I feel like the SLP Customs are the best yet IMO. I will admit getting them dialed in is a bit tricky but after about 10 casts I have never touched them again. I like the customs more than anything and can't wait to get a couple of team lews hyper mags that will be available here soon. The Team Lews Custom Speed Spool is also better IMO the just the Custom model.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvufan10147 View Post
    I have fished nothing but Lews for the past six years. I feel like the SLP Customs are the best yet IMO. I will admit getting them dialed in is a bit tricky but after about 10 casts I have never touched them again. I like the customs more than anything and can't wait to get a couple of team lews hyper mags that will be available here soon. The Team Lews Custom Speed Spool is also better IMO the just the Custom model.
    What did you end up with for settings on the dual brakes?

Still waiting for my new side plate to arrive.
    John

7. Member
    I have mine set right in the middle on the brakes. I will sometimes vary and change a click or two one way or the other when I change weights. I would suggest if it dont work the way you want it to them to contact Lews and I think they would replace it. It might just be the reel because I havnt had any problems with Lews casting reels.

8. Member
    I have mine set right in the middle on the brakes. I will sometimes vary and change a click or two one way or the other when I change weights.
    Thanks, but you wouldn't like mine setup like that. As I mentioned above, if I have 4 pins on, mag brakes just barely shy of full on and enough spool tension that the lure won't drop, it will still backlash on me. And I am far from a newbie on bait casters, just new to Lew's.
    I would suggest if it dont work the way you want it to them to contact Lews and I think they would replace it. It might just be the reel because I havnt had any problems with Lews casting reels.
    As I mentioned above, I did call them, and they were helpful. They told me there is a design flaw with this reel and they have a new palm plate for them to fix the issue, which they are sending me. I'm still waiting for that arrive.
    John

9. Member
    I really like all of my Lew's reels except for the one you have. It's not bad, but it's my least favorite and I was hoping it to be my most favorite. Hate the fat knobs too. I'm a huge fan of the BB1 pro and like the tour mg pro or whatever it's called. I'd love to find somebody with an 8 gear Curado 70 that would like to trade. Good luck getting your reel to working, and I hope the new side plate fixes it. If it does I may call and see what they say about mine. Maybe something's wrong with mine too.

10. Member
    What issue are you having with the side plate. I know the release on it is on the bottom of the side plate but I haven't had any problems with mine. I got mine as soon as they came out last year.

11. Member
    What issue are you having with the side plate. I know the release on it is on the bottom of the side plate but I haven't had any problems with mine. I got mine as soon as they came out last year.
    Please see post #23 of this thread.
    John

12. Member
    Well, the palm plate did not show up after a reasonable time, so I called Lew's on Friday to find out when it was suppose to ship. Turns out they "dropped the ball", as they put it. Didn't ship and there was no order for it to ship. Suppose to ship now on Monday, expedited.

As I mentioned, this is my first foray into Lew's products. I want to like them and I'm still trying to give them a long rope, but I have to say I'm not very enamored with them at this point.
    John

13. Member
    Finally got the new side plate. I transferred the already cleaned and lubed bearing from the old to the new, and slapped it on the reel. It has transformed the reel. I meant to try a few lures on it yesterday, but stuck with a large DS rig (5" senko, #2 EWG hook, 1/4oz DS weight) on it all day. Mounted it on an NRX 853. No problems at all with it. Went from full on magnets, 3 pins out and enough spool tension so the lure would not drop on its own to less than 1/2 on the mags, 2 pins out and very little spool tension. I'm still fine tuning and will probably end up with only one pin out.

So I finally got to actually just enjoy the reel instead of constantly picking out backlashes and messing with the brakes. I like the small size. Reminds me some of my Core 50's as far as in the hand feel. I also like the large knobs it has. I need to fish it a lot more, and will report back if there are any ongoing issues, but I think we're going to be friends at this point.

And even though Lew's dropped the ball on getting me the part, they did a good job of diagnosing and fixing the issue.
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12