Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Had Skeeters, time for a "fast" bass boat. Help choosing bass boat please.

I have had 2 Skeeters ('14 ZX20 and '15 ZX250) and liked them. They fished really well.

I have been bitten by the "fast boat bug", and now have an STV River Rocket and I ended up with a spare 2.5L 280hp (20" mid) that needs a boat.

My 1st impulse is Allison XB2002, but feel I may find it a tad unstable while casting (mainly Musky). I have never been in an Allison, but know they are killer boats.

I THINK the ideal boat would fish like my Skeeters, but be more playful. I will need a 24v (2 batterys) trolling motor for long days casting. Would a XB2003 be a better choice? This boat will be used, and will need to accept my 2.5l Merc 20".

If the boat had a ski pole to pull kids skiing or a tube would be a huge bonus.

Thanks in advance guys!!

2. Member
    For straight speed Allison or Bullet. The more fishable boat that is also fast but not quite as fast is a Bass Cat puma. I got a buddy of mine that I helped set up his puma and with a stock 250 SHO and a worked prop we can get it to turn 80 MPH. Not bad for a stable boat. I personally don't like fishing out of any of the 3 I mentioned because I feel like I'm in a canoe they are sooooo narrow. If you are used to a skeeter fish out of the next speed boat before you buy one.

For a very stable fishing platform while fishing look for a Stroker. They are hard to find so you may have to search around. They are as fast or faster than anything listed so far. Go to youtube a look at Stroker videos. Go to the Stroker forum here at BBC and read some of the discussion to learn about the boat. I have never owned one but if speed, ride and handling was my priority then Stroker would be on a short that I would look at.

BULLET. Speed and great fishability! I love mine and will never own another brand! I've owned a few brands and have fished out of several.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Speed and Fish---Bullet

6. Member
    Also look at the Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro. It has great fish ability and speed but may be hard to find unless you order a new one��
    2013 Allison BasSport Pro
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Stroker is the best go fast boat to fish out of. Bullets are good to fish out of too especially the 21 footer! Allison is a hell of a boat the only thing it can't do better than a bullet or stroker is fish!
    If you're going to be dumb, you've got to be tough!

Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post
    Speed and Fish---Bullet

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

9. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    For straight speed Allison or Bullet. The more fishable boat that is also fast but not quite as fast is a Bass Cat puma. I got a buddy of mine that I helped set up his puma and with a stock 250 SHO and a worked prop we can get it to turn 80 MPH. Not bad for a stable boat. I personally don't like fishing out of any of the 3 I mentioned because I feel like I'm in a canoe they are sooooo narrow. If you are used to a skeeter fish out of the next speed boat before you buy one.
    You left out stroker....Allison, Stroker, Bullet.....

10. Banned
    Gambler/Sterling. Very stable and very fast.

11. Member
    He wants to use a 280 which may not be the best choice on a 21 foot Bullet. However, if you could find a 20 foot Bullet, it would be fast and fish good too.

All I will say is you will be limited to what boats will be worth your time to mount a 280 on.
    And there are still a lot of people living in the past when it comes to opinions on go fast boats ..

I think the fastest most stable bass boat platform would be a 21' Stroker and have a Hydro-Tec installed Eaton supercharged 250 SHO tuned to 500 HP and have their 20" fat shaft lower unit. All Li-ion batteries and 36v Ultrex. This would have to be a screaming fishing machine.

14. Member
    An Allison 2003 is the boat you want considering your requirements, 2.5 280 perfect motor for this hull.
    Fishes better than a 2002
    can get a ski pole for the rear.
    Has large wind breaking console for playing around very comfortable for cruising.

Can have two bucket seats up front and a bench in the rear for bringing other people along.
    Within minutes can pop bench out of the back and move the passenger front bucket to the rear for more room and mobility while fishing with two. This is how my seats stayed 99% of the time unless I was playing not fishing.

Second choice would be a bullet 20xdc, this is what I went too when I sold my XB2003 Allison. I regret the choice when I'm playing but not when I'm hard core fishing.

A good 280 set up well on the Allison 2003 with fish at over 100 with good driver.

If I even thought about getting an Ally...I would spend some time over at the Allison boat forum...the guys on that forum know the boats inside and out.

Bullet is another fine choice but it would definitely be one of the 21 footers...very good in big water and will be fast and a lot of fun to drive with a 280 strapped to it.

Stroker would be another good choice...if you can find one.

You cant go wrong with any of the three.

If I had a spare 280 just hanging around that needed a hull...I would be looking for a Stratos ASX or a Triton 200x just because they are rare and they would be a blast to drive with that much power pushing them.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    If I even thought about getting an Ally...I would spend some time over at the Allison boat forum...the guys on that forum know the boats inside and out.

Bullet is another fine choice but it would definitely be one of the 21 footers...very good in big water and will be fast and a lot of fun to drive with a 280 strapped to it.

Stroker would be another good choice...if you can find one.

You cant go wrong with any of the three.

If I had a spare 280 just hanging around that needed a hull...I would be looking for a Stratos ASX or a Triton 200x just because they are rare and they would be a blast to drive with that much power pushing them.
    Horrible choices for a 280, 280's are high reving motors that like light boats.

All your suggestions would be much better off with a 3l motor like a 250xs

Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    Horrible choices for a 280, 280's are high reving motors that like light boats.

All your suggestions would be much better off with a 3l motor like a 250xs
    Lol...a bullet is a heavy boat??? You cant get much lighter unless you put it on an Ally...or a canoe.

Im aware its a high reving engine...but to say it wont run well on bullet or stroker is insane. I owned a modded 260 bridgeport that was on the back of a bullet 21 vee that ran very well...it would beat you to death in rough water...but it was very fast.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    Lol...a bullet is a heavy boat??? You cant get much lighter unless you put it on an Ally...or a canoe.

Im aware its a high reving engine...but to say it wont run well on bullet or stroker is insane. I owned a modded 260 bridgeport that was on the back of a bullet 21 vee that ran very well...it would beat you to death in rough water...but it was very fast.

LOL @ 260 Bridgeport. Doesn't exist.

And yes a 21' bullet overall runs better with a 3l motor. 20'er I'd rather a 2.5 but not a 21, same with a stroker.

oh and yes competed to a XB2003 a 21' bullet is a heavy boat

Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    LOL @ 260 Bridgeport. Doesn't exist.

And yes a 21' bullet overall runs better with a 3l motor. 20'er I'd rather a 2.5 but not a 21, same with a stroker.

oh and yes competed to a XB2003 a 21' bullet is a heavy boat

Smh...you're right...they dont exist...one of the fastest, highest revving engines mercury ever built.

http://www.screamandfly.com/archive/...p/t-95236.html

20. Member
    There's only a couple boats that will work well with a 2.5. The top 2 are an ally and a smaller bullet. Anything with some weight will not get performance on both ends of the spectrum. Either good holeshot or good top end. I'm not a go fast guy but those are my observations

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast