Thread: Trailer shocks

Trailer shocks

I have an Older Tee Nee tilt trailer which doesn't tilt any more which is fine by me.I am wondering about maybe changing the shocks out for a newer set,the ones that are on there I'm thinking maybe the originals, 50's maybe 60's,or even earlier.I should measure themAny suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Are you having problems with trailer movement while towing? If not, I wouldn't worry about them. They don't do anything on a trailer but control sway and roll and make the ride rougher on the boat.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I am not noticing anything unusual, just curious. I wasn't aware of the rough riding from the shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner16 View Post
    I am not noticing anything unusual, just curious. I wasn't aware of the rough riding from the shocks.
    I'm with you on this one-- I thought shocks were to help control roughness. Sure don't want to take them off my truck.
    Best guess would be to take one to an auto parts store-- see if they can match it. I'm sure there worn out by now..

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I'm with you on this one-- I thought shocks were to help control roughness. Sure don't want to take them off my truck.
    Best guess would be to take one to an auto parts store-- see if they can match it. I'm sure there worn out by now..
    No, they control bouncing, sway and roll. Those are important for handling, traction and rider comfort in a steered vehicle. But because they limit the speed the suspension can move, they transmit more force from road impacts to the frame of the vehicle (and then the boat) than if the suspension was un-damped.
    nothing else matters.​

as said match up at auto parts store, but buy cheap, no Bilesteins lolo

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    No, they control bouncing, sway and roll. Those are important for handling, traction and rider comfort in a steered vehicle. But because they limit the speed the suspension can move, they transmit more force from road impacts to the frame of the vehicle (and then the boat) than if the suspension was un-damped.

Guess that would be one of those things I will have to prove to myself before believing.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    [/COLOR]
    Guess that would be one of those things I will have to prove to myself before believing.
    Simple physics. Even though a shock can actually absorb some of the wheel motion by converting it to heat, the primary job of the shock is to reduce the magnitude of suspension movements and the time after initial impact those movements last. In doing that, it transmits some of the initial impact that otherwise would have only caused the springs to compress,directly to the frame.
    nothing else matters.​

I know it's got to be true -- I read it on the internet..

Trailer shocks make a HUGE difference in ride quality. Installed a set on mine and all the bouncing is gone totally worth it. Where its a "steered" vehicle or not improving the ride even on trailers transmits to the vehicle towing it. If the trailer is bouncing you feel it in the truck.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    I would imagine that the shocks would have to be valved correctly to do the most good. Several of the Elite guys have shocks on their trailers.
    Hi Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    I would imagine that the shocks would have to be valved correctly to do the most good. Several of the Elite guys have shocks on their trailers.
    I think this is in important factor. The shocks I installed are trailer specific from Monroe.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    So with the right valve setup they will still be (shock absorbers) and not force transmitters....

Sorry could not help myself !!!!!

14. Member
    Simply, Shocking! I have noticed some rub marks, upon further inspection. They are old.And I'm not sure how many different boats have been hauled on this trailer I will have them checked.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Simple physics. Even though a shock can actually absorb some of the wheel motion by converting it to heat, the primary job of the shock is to reduce the magnitude of suspension movements and the time after initial impact those movements last. In doing that, it transmits some of the initial impact that otherwise would have only caused the springs to compress,directly to the frame.
    Expand your thinking a bit, pun intended...!

Upon on initial impact, the shock is absorbing impact when the springs are in a lower tension range, so the impact "to the frame" is the is the same, it can't go anywhere else. The force of the bump is the same, its just a question of whether the spring absorbs 100% of it or it shares it with the shock.
    Slightly more advanced physics

Due to the relative crude design, shorter than ideal leaf length and relatively cheap materials used in trailer spring construction, on a severe impact, you are more likely to jolt the trailer harder by "hitting the wall" at the end of the useful spring travel range without a shock absorber than with.

I currently have boat trailers with and without shocks that I use on a regular basis.
    Last edited by LOSTTEXAN; 07-11-2017 at 10:53 PM.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs