Thread: Wet Transom

Wet Transom

I am always looking to upgrade and I came across a 1998 190 so I sold my 184. First order of business install the electronics and TM off the 184 on to the 190. Second order get rid of the RITE HITE jack plate. I got the motor off and was waiting on my son to get home to help with the JP. While waiting on him I pulled the tie down eyes out to reseal them. When I broke each side loose about a cup of water ran out of each side. (insert fowl language here) The transom is solid and the good news after removing the JP and drilling a few test holes after calling my buddy that does glass work is the wet area is only around the tie down eyes. It has been sitting for about a week now in the Texas heat and covered so water can't get to it. I stuck a rolled up paper towel in the lower hole on each side to act as a wick. The right side looks like a used coffee filter everyday and the left side just gets wet. I did some probing with a screw driver and everything is still solid so now the waiting game begins. The stainless trim piece had a bead of silicon ran right down the bend but it only touched about 2 inches all the way across. I have been harping on my dad and brother to do both their Champs for the last couple of years. Needless to say they are ready to do it now after what I found. I got lucky when I did the 184 it was dry. A buddy gave me a new 10 inch jack plate that came of his new boat when he put the Atlas on so that's what I am going to try. Has anyone with a 190 tried a 10 inch plate?
    1990 Champion 184sc 1980 150 Mercury
    1998 Champion 190dc 1998 200XRI Mercury

2. Member
    Don't forget to check the transition pieces between the rub rail and the transom cap. That it where I think my leak was on my 186. The first sign showed up at the tie down eyes.