Maxxum 101 intermittent.

My maxxum quit on me last week so when I got it home I checked all the batteries and checked the terminal where it is connected on the front of the boat. I have good volts at all places. I popped the magnetic button off the pedal just to check and see if it looked fine. When I put it back on the motor worked fine again. While fishing today it quit again after several hours of use. Popped the button off again and this time it came back for just a second and now I'm getting nothing. I tried moving the reed switch up a little and that did nothing. Just thought I would see if anyone has any ideas while I'm waiting to get it in to the service center. Thanks.

Jeff Hodnett
    Jeff Hodnett
    2017 Triton 21TRX, 250 Yamaha SHO
    "Air Cav"

2. Member
    Do all your voltage tests with the motor plugged in on the Continuous and 100% setting. Check your cuttent limiter(s) for corrosion and voltage drop. If all else fails to show the problem check the two big wires going down the shaft for 36 volts at the connection under the heat shrink. Easy to get to just remove 4 screws. Be careful of the prop it can give you a whack if it starts up.
    Check the screws in the back of the male Marinco plug that hold the trolling motor wires to the blades.

3. Member
    Does it work in continuous? Before we get to that point there are some checks to make. Bill has it right. Loss connections will read voltage with a meter, but when you apply a load then that connection will cause problems. Check all connections first. Than includes taking off the back plate on the foot pedal and checking for corrosion on the board tie in points. If that doses not fix the problem then try to see if it works on continuous. If it works in continuous and not in momentary then most likely it is the reed switch. The best way to check the reed switch is to get another magnet and get it close to the reed switch and see if you hear the relay click on. If it does and nothing happens then shut your troll motor power off and remove the power leads and the motor leads off the board then connect the motor leads and the power leads direct. Turn power back on. If motor does not run then you may have water in the motor. Pull prop loosen the bottom motor screw.(one closes to the ground) to see if water comes out Any water not good. Clear water not as bad. Black water not good. Could be rebuilt. Reed switch is changeable. There is a kit.

Thanks for the help. I got it in with the Minn Kota service center so we'll see what the problem is.
    Jeff Hodnett
    2017 Triton 21TRX, 250 Yamaha SHO
    "Air Cav"