Thread: I Need GAINS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Need GAINS

I've been back in the gym for a few weeks and I can lift my goal weight just not as many times reps that I have in mind.

Some people say 10 reps five times and add 5lbs a week until I get to my goal weight and some say heavy day is once a week, the rest is build up but on the other hand 15 reps 5 times of a comfortable weight and increase weekly

How do you get gains and what works best for you?
    How did you navigate through all the fluff to find what works best for you?

All the pre-workouts in the world doesn't motivate me it's my goal to be better and what I have found is that no supplement gives me that mental drive. So I am just naturally going at this

2. Member
    This is the classic. Everything else is not.
    https://www.scribd.com/doc/10456641/Starting-Strength

3. Member
    Depends on what type of lift.

I follow Damien Patrick's plan but it's more for show, not for go. At 34 with torn labrums, my days of lifting super heavy are over.
    2001 Ranger R71
    Merc 125
    MinnKota 74# Maxxum
    Humminbird 999
    Humminbird 859

4. Member
    Are you just looking to be able to lift more or What?

I like the 5x5 plan on your main exercises
    .squat bench deadlift. I try to lift as heavy as possible for those 5 sets of 5. On my last rep, I want my spotter to be on their toes and reaching to help on my bench and squat.

Isolation exercises I do 3 sets of 8 reps for 1 week then 3 sets of 16 reps. The key is picking the right weight and struggling on the last rep of each set while still keeping form.

Disclaimer..im not a personal trainer and the only science I have to back up the above is personal experience. I went from 254lbs to 190lbs starting middle of January.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNRanger View Post
    Depends on what type of lift.

I follow Damien Patrick's plan but it's more for show, not for go. At 34 with torn labrums, my days of lifting super heavy are over.
    Yeah I understand that completely so I don't go over 225lbs
    I just want to be able to do a maximum of 30 reps
    But I'm getting spent at 10.
    I don't ever want to go over 250lbs. I don't have any big injuries
    I broke my forearm in a car accident many years ago and have two rods and ten screws but it doesn't bother me at all

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinJax View Post
    Yeah I understand that completely so I don't go over 225lbs
    I just want to be able to do a maximum of 30 reps
    But I'm getting spent at 10.
    I don't ever want to go over 250lbs. I don't have any big injuries
    I broke my forearm in a car accident many years ago and have two rods and ten screws but it doesn't bother me at all
    10 reps @ 225 is pretty dang good for bench . Myles Garret did 33 reps @ 225 during the NFL combine.

Dont forget about your diet. It will play a part in your gains.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

8. Member
    What you need is good ole mexican steroids!

If you're measuring your gains based on the bench press try adding bands to the bar. Try to switch between bells and bar often incorporating declines and inclines.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

10. Member
    Lighter weight and more reps. In my younger days I went to the gym with my brother in law. He lifted heavy and I went lighter with more reps. At 225 lb on the bench I was able to do more reps than him. Overall he could lift a heavier weight but I was right behind him.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Dont forget about your diet. It will play a part in your gains.
    Really... How so

So are you wanting to be able to rep 225lbs 30 times and can now get it 10?

Give us a little more on what you are trying to achieve and where you are at now.

Strength on different lifts.
    Experience weight lifting.
    Height and weight.
    Goals for strength.
    Goals for appearance.
    Diet-Daily intake of protein, carbs and fats.

I have done 225 in the mid 30s at a body weight of around 240. My max bench was mid 400's at the time. I can tell you it was the strongest I ever was but probably also felt the worst. In order for me to have gotten that strong I had to put a lot of emphasis on training correctly, eating enough, and resting well. The human body is designed to neither be big or overly strong. Hence why its so hard to obtain size and strength and why your body plateaus.

Remember, the training is a small part of the equation. You must provide nourishment to allow your body the nutrients to repair what you broke down in training, then rest well to give your body the time to do it.

If you approach this one dimensionally thinking a training program is all you need, you will be spinning your wheels. Getting stronger is a dynamic process that isn't an hour at the gym, its all day, all week.

Even with everything in line, there is still a genetic limit that only allows some to get so strong in certain areas. Just keep that in mind.
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885

Quote Originally Posted by BassinJax View Post
    Really... How so
    In simple terms, you need to make sure your protein intake is sufficent to help you build the muscle. Minimum should be one gram of protein for one lb of your body weight, i.e. weigh 200 lbs. eat 200 grams of protein per day. In a perfect world you would eat 400 grams of protein, but for the average Joe that's not gonna happen.

14. Member
    225 for 30 reps. Good luck with that.

15. Member
    Everyone's body responds different to lifting. Some can lift to 4x10 some do 5x5. I like a mix of both and my body responds well to it. I do stair step 20,15,10,20 for a month then go 12,10,8,6 for another month finish off if i feel like going heavy with 5x5. Works well for me. Just going to have to experiment. 225 for 30 reps would be like a 425 one rep max.
    Nick Frazer
    YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Pin2win201

Starting strength is a good program for a young lifter who is starting out but not so good for someone who has been training for years. People put way to much emphasis on reps like 4 sets of 5 or 4 sets of 10 and the bench press. I have found much more success doing weighted pull ups, push ups and squats and lots of kettle bell work along with traditional weight training. Run, jump, swim, lift heavy shit sometimes but not everyday and you will get results with a proper diet.

To the ops original question though the only way to increase your rep range or weight is to increase the load and frequency that's the only way really.

17. Hagen
    I agree with the others diet is a big part. What is your goal in the end? Just being physically strong or actually putting on muscle mass? Do you plan on taking any kind of protein powder,multivitamins or fish oil? I would also like to know what others think about this. I am currently trying to get back I shape myself

18. Member
    Steroids will get you there in no time.

19. Banned
    I know you're short an "E", but it's OK. What ya need?

20. Member
    honestly 225 at 30x even with a lunchbox of steroids wont get many people there. Steroids is not magic. lol. You got to be somewhat strong already. I don't think many of you realize how difficult 225 for 30 reps is. Just look at what of the NFL draft class does with 225 for reps.

If your goal is to just be strong then eat. eat a lot and often. You will gain weight and strength. If thats your goal. Its very difficult to gain strength and mass while losing fat unless you are completely new to the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast