225 ProXS randomly won't turn over

My 2006 225 ProXS (SN: 1B363177) starts and runs fine 99% of the time. Occasionally it just randomly won't start. Turn the key over and fuel pump kicks in, then when you try to turn it over, it does nothing. You can try it for 10-15 minutes and nothing. Doesn't affect depth finders or anything, it's getting power fine. Sit around a few more minutes and it will start right up and run fine for a long time again. (So far) which isn't a big issue until you make a 30-40 mile run and then have a big bag of fish and need to leave at the last minute and it won't start. Anybody familiar with this? Thanks a lot. Hopefully I've put all of the info needed in this post. My apologies if something is missing.

2. Member
    Test the solenoids with a DVOM.

3. Member
    I have a 08 250 proxs does the same thing once or twice a summer. The only time it does it is when I let my partner out to get the truck and go to start it back up to load up. It has never done it up the lake after you shut it off to fish awhile. Thanks for any help.

4. Member
    Thanks savage. I'll check asap.

5. Member
    What you could do is hook up a light circuit, 12 volts, to the starter side of the solenoid with a ground. Put it outside the cowling tape it to something if necessary. If it only does this on the water after running it a while, and you hit the key and it doesn't turn over, and the light lights, the starter or starter wire is bad. If the light doesn't light it could be the neutral throttle switch, ignition switch, solenoid or boat wiring.

6. Member
    Billnorman1 that's good information you just gave. Maybe this will help. Motor wasn't doing that at all, traded boats and kept my motor, now I have the problem. Boat wiring maybe, or I guess that can go bad st any time too? 1999 20XD Bullet

7. Member
    I am surely not a Merc tech, just an old airplane electrician. We used to get faults that would not duplicate on te ground and had to rig up stuff to detect where trouble was while the plane was flying. Sometimes we would use 1/16 amp fuses to tell us when and if a fault was detected like in parallel to a closed circuit. If the circuit opened when it wasn't supposed to it would blow the fuse because 1/16 amp was no real current, and it blew if the normally closed circuit had a momentary open condition. At least we knew where to start looking.

8. Member
    Kill switch?

9. Member
    Are you saying the kill switch itself has a short in it or is going bad something? The kill switch wasn't flipped down. it will still try to start with the kill switch flipped anyway, I believe. With my issue (which I still haven't duplicated again) i turn the key to "on" fuel pump kicks in, then when I try to actually fire the motor, it does nothing at all.

10. Member
    If you ever find an make sure you post it.

11. Member
    I definitely will. It still hasn't repeated yet. Of course I haven't had any big bags of fish to weigh in either. If I can get some good bites, it will be easier to duplicate. Lol