USA How's the Patoka bite?

Deep, shallow, on the bank, offshore, etc.. just curious how it's going down there.
    2008 CHAMPION 200 ELITE
    2008 225 MERCURY PRO XS

2. Member
    I went last weekend for a few hours. There was no bite for me lol

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M4A1 View Post
    I went last weekend for a few hours. There was no bite for me lol

thats how it is for me as well.......only place worse in the state is Monroe ...

4. Member
    had 18.5lbs in Wednesday evening. 2nd place 16.25lbs . Went Monday afternoon shook 2 limits off in 4 hours....

5. Member
    I don't know about Patoka but I was bank fishing at Brookville Saturday and a older couple caught about 10 bass in less than a hour around the dam.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001champ View Post
    had 18.5lbs in Wednesday evening. 2nd place 16.25lbs . Went Monday afternoon shook 2 limits off in 4 hours....
    Nice job todd

7. Member
    Thanks, Lee when you coming down

Not till the bfl. I'm always at work, at work now but obviously not killing myself lol.

9. Banned
    Bites are a little tough to come by, but big ones are biting. Had 17.65 in our club tournament saturday morning, and 20.01 in a 7-midnight tournament Saturday night. Question was shallow, deep, etc....well let's just say I can't reach the bank. Lol.

I fished it the 12th and 13th (evening and morning) and caught 10 or 11 bass. Biggest was only about 3lbs, but I just like being on the lake. Ospreys were flying, and always fun to watch and had Dad out with me. Maybe if I lived there I'd hate it, but I doubt it.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

11. Member
    Sounds like you guys are catchin em there! Guess me and the boys are gonna have to make a run down there after the 4th.. thanks for insight guys, it gives me hope!
    2008 CHAMPION 200 ELITE
    2008 225 MERCURY PRO XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Bites are a little tough to come by, but big ones are biting. Had 17.65 in our club tournament saturday morning, and 20.01 in a 7-midnight tournament Saturday night. Question was shallow, deep, etc....well let's just say I can't reach the bank. Lol.
    What's your boat look like?

13. Member
    For you guys that fish Patoka quite a bit I have a couple question. And before your start, no I'm not looking for your spots. This year I started fishing Patoka again after not fishing it for years. So I will start with a couple things that are making me think that I'm crazy. I haven't found hardly any grass and it use to very heavy in certain areas. did they kill it off? And I know I'm not completely crazy but I'm sure that there use to be at least one small island when you come out of painters creek heading towards the dam, and I thought there were two. I have been up there 4 or 5 times since late may and only have managed a couple of dinks total. I will freely admit that I'm far from a pro, but I does fish club tournys in Kensucky and can usually hold my own. I stopped fishing Patoka years ago because I have always worked in Kensucky and that's where most of my buddys fished, and that's where heir clubs are. Please someone et least tell me hat I'm not crazy about remembering the grass and at least one island. Thanks, Jerry And yes I spelled kensucky correctly.

Welcome to the Indiana forum. The islands are there. The markers have moved and the water is 4 foot high. Grass has been gone for a few years.

15. Member
    The corp of engineers have held the lake 3' above normal pool the last couple years and it has killed the grass. As soon as they let it get back to normal, it should come back after a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by hardestyeric View Post
    The corp of engineers have held the lake 3' above normal pool the last couple years and it has killed the grass. As soon as they let it get back to normal, it should come back after a year or so.
    Or they will drain it 6 foot and kill all the new grass...

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Or they will drain it 6 foot and kill all the new grass...
    ^^^^^^.............This is much more likely to happen!

Sad

19. Member
    ^^^^^what they said. Grass was always my bread&butter at Patoka. It's like learning how to fish an entirely new lake....and it sucks in comparison to the old one. Odds are they'll screw it up again if the grass makes a comeback. Every decent bite I've had in the last year has come off of offshore structure of some kind. Can't beat the bank and load the boat anymore.

20. Member
    It hasn't been a great year for me on Patoka, I started the year off well but going into the summer I haven't done near as well as I had expected. For the most part I know what I've been doing wrong and I'm working to correct it. The topic of grass in the lake has been talked about in this forum many times and I thoroughly understand why many want to see it back. I wouldn't mind seeing it back in places but that's not how it works. I fish many lakes in KY that don't have weeds and do very well, over time I've applied some of the same techniques in Patoka , some seem to work just fine but others don't. Patoka isn't my favorite lake by no means, I live close to it so I fish it often.......no more no less. A weedless lake needs current, that's one thing Patoka wont ever have, I feel that the weeds will come back eventually but until they do Ill keep using the patterns I've used in other weedless lakes.